Feeding Horses Corn

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by buggywhipp, Oct 6, 2005.

1. buggywhipp

buggywhipp Senior Member+

Is it safe to feed horses corn on the cob? The reason I'm asking is because I got some corn stocks for Halloween and it has ears of corn on it. Is that safe to feed? It is field corn.

2. My Mr. Ed

My Mr. Ed Senior Member+

I give it to my horses as a treat...they normally just eat it like we do. They ear the corn off the cob, and leave the cob in the bucket. But, I never give them too many...It's just a treat for them. :)
    Since Jason's a farmer, ear corn is pretty easy for me to get.

3. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member+

maybe an ear every now and then. My horses get one sometimes. Don't feed it a lot though.

4. MissBandit

MissBandit Senior Member+

yep just fine as long as it is not too much, and as long as it is not dried corn.

5. buggywhipp

buggywhipp Senior Member+

Ok thanks guys. I didn't want to give them anything to possible cause colic and to be quite honest I didn't know if they would eat it or not.:)

6. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

What I've been told, corn is corn. Dried or Moist. It is still high in starch. So you must still be careful when feeding it.

As for the cob, careful there too. Some horses try to eat them and choke in the process. Others just leave the cob part alone.

But yes, you should be cautious.

7. ejforrest

ejforrest Senior Member+

Corn on the cob can get stuck in the intestine. If you are going to feed it, it would be better if you took it off the cob or grind it up. Had a mare who colicked on a corn cob, part of it got stuck in her intestine, vet had to be called.
    Corn: Is probably the second most familiar grain for horses, and overall livestock feed. Because, corn is a hull-less grain, it is very high in starches. Fiber makes up only 2.2% of its total composition, and its digestible energy(DE) value is more than twice that of oats. This means that it does not have the "safety margin" than oats have, and must be fed with caution and in relatively small quantities. Many nutritionist recommend it being mixed with other grains to balance its high starch concentration.
    Corn has twice the energy as oats. The hardness of the individual kernels means that in order to be digested well by the horse, corn usually needs to be processed, by craking(breaking each kernel into pieces), or flaking(flattening kernels with a roller)

8. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

You have to be careful with it. It is a grain so introducing it periodically can cause issues. However because you are feeding it on the cob, it makes it safer (as the cob is pretty much undigestable fiber). Most horses I have seen will eat the cob. It will not hurt them unless they are unable to chew properly.

The biggest issue with corn is mold which can be very, very deadly.

9. bigshires

bigshires Full Member

make sure it's eating corn and has not been treated!