1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Feeding...HONEY?! And yogurt? And olive oil?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by MissCriss, Jun 18, 2008.

1. MissCriss

MissCriss Senior Member+

Oooo ok :D. Why is olive oil good for dogs? I know salmon oil is good for them, but I didn't know olive oil was too.

2. sorrell

sorrell Senior Member

Olive oil has omega three fatty acids I believe. You could get the benefits of vitamin E and such with other oils as well. I have used soy oil with good results in skin and coat health.

3. MissCriss

MissCriss Senior Member+

I think olive oil has omega 9's actually, but I'm no sure.

Yes, I've heard soy is pretty good as well. MoorGlo is a very good product, and it's a combination of soy, rice bran, and flax seed or meal.

4. ejforrest

ejforrest Senior Member+

Yogurt is just a treat, it wont do a thing for a horse where probiotics are concerned.
    "An effective dosage for horses has not yet been deterimined(porbiotics). It is suspected that adult horses probably need 100 to 500 "billion" CFU's."
    Is there that much in a container of yogurt? I dont think so...
    Honey is just a treat. People believe it has healing powers. Colds, arthritis, and what not. to feed it to horses to make it feel better, you would need alot.
    Corn oil, veg oil, and soy oil are great for putting weight on hard keepers, older horses with no teeth(helps give extra energy), and for horses recovering from illness or surgery. It is well tolorated by the horse and supplies 2.5 times more energy than corn, barely, and oats. It is a "calmer" energy. No starch/sugars.

"Starch--Traditionally, horse owners and feed manufacturers have used starch rich cereal grains, such as oats and corn, to provided added calories. But the practice has increasingly fallen into disfavor as research has shown that too much starch can cause health problems like colic, founder, ulcers, tying-up, insulin and glucose spikes, and diarrhea."
    High starch diets are not recommended. Hay and pasture grass is what is recommended if your horse is not hard working and can maintain its health and weight on it. Fiber and more fiber is the most important part of a horses diet, not grains.

5. MissCriss

MissCriss Senior Member+

Ok, sorry. I didn't know.

I see. Thank you. I have heard that it can do good for dogs, but I can understand that it would take quite a lot for horses...and in turn, probably do more bad than good.

Yes, except that I have heard others who say that veggie oil is basically not easily utilized by horses. Not as easy as other things anyways, like BOSS. Even though it does provide slow burning energy and weight, I would much rather feed alternatives that I can feed less of and still get the same results, therefore saving me money. There are also alternatives that are more easily utilized. As Dawn explained, sometimes feeding with veggie oils can mean that other things in the horse are not as easily utilized as well. At least....I think that's what she meant? I don't know though. You are probably right, because I don't know much about feeding horses.

"Starch--Traditionally, horse owners and feed manufacturers have used starch rich cereal grains, such as oats and corn, to provided added calories. But the practice has increasingly fallen into disfavor as research has shown that too much starch can cause health problems like colic, founder, ulcers, tying-up, insulin and glucose spikes, and diarrhea."
    High starch diets are not recommended. Hay and pasture grass is what is recommended if your horse is not hard working and can maintain its health and weight on it. Fiber and more fiber is the most important part of a horses diet, not grains.[/quote]

6. BitsnBits

BitsnBits Senior Member

OK what about apples and carrots? Good or bad?

7. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member

Apples and carrots aren't necessarily good for horses. But for the 'normal' horse that is not sensitive to sugars, 1-2 a day isn't bad. But when you sit and feed an entire bag of either to any horse, not good.

8. pantha11

pantha11 Senior Member+

I am so sitting on my hands here.....

9. BitsnBits

BitsnBits Senior Member

why are you sitting on your hands. I'm terribly guilty, when I go out if I have a sm bag of carrots, the grass hound gets the whole thing thru the course of the day. I stick with one apple thou. I heard too many apples could cause colic, but carrots were ok. ?

10. pantha11

pantha11 Senior Member+

Not sitting on my hands over the apples and carrots....just some of the comments being made over the honey, olive oil and yoguart.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008