Feeding...HONEY?! And yogurt? And olive oil?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by MissCriss, Jun 18, 2008.

1. MissCriss

MissCriss Senior Member+

I was on the dog forum...and someone said that they periodically feed their dog honey because of the health beneifits :eek:.

Will someone please explain this to me? I've always been taught that no matter how simple, or how natural the sugar is, to just not feed it...not to horses, not to dogs, and not to people (which has not been very successful :p).

The person said that it can cause a sugar high, but also promotes GOOD fat production...or something like that....is this the same case with horses? If so, why? What's in honey that is supposed to be good for them?

Another topic...feeding yogurt to your horse? What's the point in that? Why's it good for them?

And olive oil....isn't that an omega 9? What's the purpose of feeding that? I heard it was good for PEOPLE, but I've never heard of people feeding it to horses...have heard of people feeding it to dogs, though.

Thank you to anyone that offers information or comments :).

2. HorseGurly143

HorseGurly143 Senior Member+

Well I don't know about the honey and sugars, but I do know that feeding yogurt has a lot of great probiotics in it which is something you can feed a horse with gut issues. My gelding gets diarrhea really eaisily, and for awhile I had to feed him plain yogurt to keep his gut happy!

3. dustyboy1209

dustyboy1209 Senior Member

Like she said, the yogurt is good for the stomach. I have never heard of feeding honey or olive oil, but we feed corn oil all of the time. Not only does it add extra calories to fatten up a horse that doesn't keep weight well, it makes for a nice glossy and healthy coat.

4. MissCriss

MissCriss Senior Member+

Corn oil has a lot of things to it that aren't very good for your horse. There are MUCH better alternatives to corn oil. Way way waayyyy better alternatives that help keep weight on, provide a glossy coat and good hooves, and provide slow burning energy without a sugar high. You can ask people like Dawn and PeggySue to explain this to you, as they are some of the people who enlightened me about it. BlisteringWinds is also a good person to ask here on the forum.

5. dustyboy1209

I could care less about that. The thing about corn oil is the bad stuff isn't that big a deal, and it is much cheaper than the alternatives. Vets have recommended it, so it can't be that bad.

6. dustyboy1209

7. AllAroundRdr

AllAroundRdr Senior Member+

Many vets also recommend high sugar/starch feeds rather than better alternative feeds. Just because your vet reccommends something doesn't mean it's the best option. Many vets are completely out of the loop when it comes to beneficial equine nutrition.

8. dustyboy1209

When I said vets, I meant more than one. Not just my vet. Please enlighten me on these alternatives that you fight so strongly for. Until I hear a good argument, or at least that actual alternative how can I change my mind or agree?

9. AllAroundRdr

AllAroundRdr Senior Member+

My sincerest apologies for putting you on what appears to be the defensive...

There's no need to hijack someone else's thread -- the alternative to a high sugar/starch feed would be the opposite with lower NSC levels -- i.e. a RB. There's pleanty of threads with not just opinions but actual facts regarding nutrition :)

10. MissCriss

MissCriss Senior Member+

Agreed :). NSC levels are important. We want them to be low. Corn doesn't have super high NSC levels, and it's not necessarily bad, but it's not the best. It may be true that it's cheaper though.

I really do apologize :eek:. We didn't mean to put you on the spot, we just wanted to share information with you that you might not have known--only in the interest to lend advice, not say things that you do are very wrong. I know I used to feed corn oil too.

Alternatives are things like black oil sunflower seeds, coconut oil (although not my first choice as its fat content isn't that great), flax seed, or flax seed oil. Other choices are products like Moor Glo, which contains rice bran, flax, and I think...soy? Then there is cocosoya oil. And, just plain rice bran. Then, ration balancers, like Triple Crown's ration balancer.

Surprisingly, A LOT of vets are kind of out of the loop. What a horse nutritionist will tell you will be different from a vet. I know vets that still feed things with molasses and corn, like sweet feed, believe it or not! And we all know how bad corn and molasses is for our horses. Basically, grains are not really needed in a horse's diet. Yes, the bad things in corn oil aren't as bad as whole corn, but I wouldn't shrug it off either.

I'll ask Dawn and PeggySue to give you some more scientific information. They're much better at it than me.