Feeding a Yearling

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Ivory Rose, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Why do you want to work him that much? It's a baby. I could see some light work if it's going to be as lunge liner... otherwise make sure it has manners, leads, ties, etc and that's about it.

JStorry and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  2. slc

slc Senior Member

I do not work yearlings. Ever.

They're yearlings. They don't get worked. They get their feet picked up(takes about a minute, then I'm done doing that), they get led down the barn aisle to go out in the pasture or come back in, they get brushed while they're eating so they don't really have to hold still, they get led into the trailer to eat food in the trailer for a few minutes. No actual work. They're too young.

Ivory Rose and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

You might want to clarify work, handling for fifteen minutes a day is fine. Really yearlings just need that, their job is just growing and being kids basically.

JStorry likes this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

Except 'just handling' is not what is always done with Morgans. Instead it's fairly vigorous longeing, long lining, etc, and even 15 min of that is too much for a yearling.

Even with handling, I wouldn't do even 15 minutes in a row. I'd pick up and pick out the feet, then go do something else. Come back a half hour later, brush for 30 seconds. And go away. There's plenty to do at the barn - the 'handling' of the yearling can be done in 1-2 minute chunks during which he is completely focused. He can't focus or stand still for longer than that.

Ivory Rose likes this.
  5. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

I do basically f/c high quality alfalfa
    2 pounds of TC Growth a day split into 2 meals
    A scoop of equipride a day.

I'll try to get pictures of what my kiddos look like,
    My fjord X colt is about 14 hands and looking great, and my QH colt is also about 14 hands and in a cute growth spurt

JStorry and Ivory Rose like this.
  6. Ivory Rose

Ivory Rose Full Member

That is all I meant (-: 15 minutes a lesson or so just learning to be led, tied, standing still, picking up feet, bathing, etc.
    Nothing crazy like lunging, saddles, or any work too extensive or over the top.

All that can be started later, later.

~tiffy~ likes this.
  7. Ivory Rose

Ivory Rose Full Member

I should have clarified - when I say "work," I mean all things that are only necessary at that age, such as everything you mentioned above.

I have no intentions of lunging, running, saddling, etc. just yet. All I care about are ground manners and the ability to let me pick u his feet, standing tied, bathing, etc. Mostly anything that involves manners and such (-:

8. Ivory Rose

Ivory Rose Full Member

I would agree!

I have no desire to do actual "physical work" with him, besides only what needs to be done at this age with is all the basics of basics.
    Ground manners and at least learning to respect space and let me handle his feet. Fun stuff that keep him interested and learing, but nothing that will overexert the youthful mind ^.^

9. Ivory Rose

Ivory Rose Full Member

I would appreciate that, thank you!!

10. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

There's nothing wrong with doing something everyday with a yearling as you would a mature horse in a program...but it should be just ground handling, teaching to lead and stand quietly when turning out and bringing in, brushing and handling feet while being tied etc.

doublelranch and Ivory Rose like this.