Feeding a Yearling

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Ivory Rose, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Ivory Rose

Ivory Rose Full Member

I have a 2018 Morgan yearling (who has not been delivered yet).
    What type of feed/supplements/grain do you suggest for a yearling that will be in consistent regular work (5 days a week for about 15-30 minutes a day)?

Access to pasture, round bales, and/or grass hay will be available all the time. How do you suppose we mediate this?

Going to continue doing my own research as well (-:

Thank you!

2. froglander

froglander Senior Member

Do you know what he has been eating up to now?

Ivory Rose likes this.
  3. Ivory Rose

Ivory Rose Full Member

I do not! I have not asked the BO, but I know he is kept primarily in a pasture with grass hay. But beyond that, nada.
    I will find out.

4. froglander

froglander Senior Member

I have not fed a youngster before, but when I read things about feeding them, I usually see suggestions of using a ration balancer with the appropriate amount for the horse's age.

SaddleUp158 and Ivory Rose like this.
  5. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

Yep, nothing wrong with just hay and a ration balancer. I prefer Progressive grass or alfalfa (depending on what you feed) balancer and use it for my show horses (which includes a yearling).

Ivory Rose likes this.
  6. Ivory Rose

Ivory Rose Full Member

Okay, all good information.
    I need to do some more research about the brands offered in my area (Dallas), but go ahead and throw out some names for me to look into - I can compare ingredients and hopefully find a good medium between what I want vs. what I can find.

7. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

First, I wouldn't work a yearling that much.

Free choice quality hay and a ration balancer

mooselady, Baboo, ginster and 2 others like this.
  8. slc

slc Senior Member

I would not work a yearling that much. That's way, way too much. Of any kind of work, including halter work, longe line, long reins, etc. A yearling is not mentally like an adult horse where you work them in that kind of program.

The chief concern with Morgans is overeating and overweight, which can be especially damaging to young horses but is always bad for all horses. Your Morgan probably can't have unlimited access to round bales and pasture at any age. He'll need to spend a good part of each day in a dirt pen to prevent eating excess pasture, especially in spring when the grass is growing like mad and causing easy keeper horses to get laminitis right and left.

Obviously starving the horse is wrong too, but Morgans need to be managed very carefully so they don't gain too much weight.

Ivory Rose likes this.
  9. Ivory Rose

Ivory Rose Full Member

Perhaps 3 or so days a week? I feel 15-30 minutes is a good duration of time, unless you suggest differently?

10. Ivory Rose

Ivory Rose Full Member

Oh, yes. I wasn't necessarily saying that is what his feeding/pasture life will be like - I was just mentioning what was available, in case that may or may not have been helpful information.
    There are plenty of other accommodations available in terms of a more bare pen, so I do appreciate that input. Thank you!

3 days a week? Let me know.

I have worked with MANY yearlings, but on the terms that their owners wanted. My own however ... a bit newer (-: