Feed through for fly/gnat control

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by BipolarHonor, Sep 11, 2018.

1. BipolarHonor

BipolarHonor Senior Member

So we discovered my gelding is a sensitive little priss who thinks he needs royal treatment :rolleyes:. Cant handle extended turnout in heat or bugs he dropped weight from stressing over it, he acts like he is sick if he doesnt get the attention he thinks he needs and the list goes on. We are working on putting weight back on I switched him to Tribute Kalm Ultra and hopefully with the cooler weather coming he gains quickly. Question is what feed through can I put him on for next year so we dont go through this again and how far out would I have to start him on it for it to work.

2. RusticR

RusticR Full Member

Our bugs are horrific here.... fly season is June 1st thru late August/mid September and it’s... awful. We have horse flies, deer flies, some awful green biting flies, mosquitoes, gnats, stable flies you name it....

We’ve tried the predators (works marginally but we have cattle farms that border us), ACV and garlic, and Smartpak brand big off supplement. Didn’t really notice any different using the feed throughs.

What I’ve found to work best... is head to toe fly sheet which I’ve done but the yearling colt is a bit destructive.... so we just bring the horses inside from about 8/9 am until 7/8 pm when the bugs die down and then just spray them well to combat the mosquitoes.

3. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Are you looking for a feed thru that helps the horse repel flies or basically treat the whole barn and prevent flies from hatching? I use Simplifly for all of my 7 horses and have noticed a drastic decrease in the number of flies. Ive tried fly predators also, along with the Simplifly, but can't say whether they work.

Ive read the Bug Off you can get from Jeffers works for the individual horse, makes them less tasty, lol.

4. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

different measures effect different insects, feeding him a product with flax and garlic might help make him less appealing and help his skin become less sensitive. Most of the other feed through products need to be fed to the whole herd to be effective. I use Buggzo on the whole herd in the spring when our mosquitos are the worst. Buggzo has garlic and Diaomaaceous earth which is supposed to present eggs in the manure from hatching.

I use the predators all summer and they work well to reduce the population of flies. I hang fly traps and tape to catch those that still hatch.

I use fly sheets with belly and neck covers on everyone spring to fall, as we are in wet wooded area and I have a serious ongoing war with Mosquitos and No-see-ums.

Fans in the barn help reduce No-see-ums in the barn. Not only are horses often allergic to the no-see-ums, these nasty little buggers infect the horses with Neck Thread Worms. Worming everyone regularly at the same time with Ivermectin can be very beneficial if you have No-see-ums.

I find that the Mosquito off works best in the spring on the No-see-ums and Mosquitos and that Ultra shield works best on the later summer flies. I also like the Equiderma Horse spray and I use it on the mares and foals.

I also have a mosquito magnet.

5. BipolarHonor

He has rambo fly sheet with neck cover plus fly mask I didnt do fly boots on him this year but I will next year. He is in under a fan during the day and turned out for a few hours during barn work when sun starts to go down I had tried leaving him out overnight but same thing he stressed so much it's like he drops weight overnight. I'll look into some of those products and see what we can do

6. BipolarHonor

He has unlimited hay and we tried every weight supplement under the sun and he was on 12qts of ultium a day. I'm hoping the feed switch helps him. Everyone else looks good it's just him

7. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I think changing feeds from a high corn feed you were giving to him to the Tribute will make not just a difference in his reaction to bugs, but will help his overall health. Surprised at how high the NSC is though for the Tribute at 23.5%, must be the oats in it.

Foxy was very sensitive on corn grains and Safe Choice Original and Purina Ultium both gave him chronic hives. This is what Purina Ultium did to him.

FoxyhivesPurinaUltium.jpg