Feed For A Horse?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by RNTalley, Aug 10, 2017.

1. RNTalley

RNTalley Registered

Okay, so there is a very good possibility that I'm buying a 7 year old Quarter horse tomorrow, and he wasn't previously fed grain, but I want to because he's going to be more of a high-end western performance horse (he's going to be ridden and worked a lot). Anyways, I don't know what type of food I should feed him. Suggestions? A friend suggested Thrive, but I'm not sure about it.

2. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

What will he be eating for forage? His diet should be based on a high quality forage like alfalfa, timothy, timothy/alfalfa mix, brome, Teff, bermuda.... pasture. In many situations forage is all a horse needs.

I used a ration balancer on three of my horses; they're easy keepers doing moderate activity. They get alfalfa for forage. My young growing horse is on Ultium and alfalfa; she's in moderate work.

My favorite feed company is Progressive. Purina makes a ration balancer. Nutrena makes a ration balancer. Triple Crown makes good feed. ADM makes some nice feeds.

I look for low starch and cost effective options. I've had horses do just fine on pasture, alfalfa, and a loose mineral/vitamin.

3. RNTalley

RNTalley Registered

He will be in a pasture with coastal hay round bales all the time, and plenty of grass, so he'll have options for forage. He will probably be ridden 4 times a week max, but will definitely be on a high activity level. I don't really have an option to put out different types of hay with him because he will be boarded with 4 other privately owned horses.

4. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Is he an easy keeper? If so the easiest and likely cheapest thing would be a ration balancer at 1-2 lbs per day.

5. Zephyer1995

Zephyer1995 Senior Member

I feed about like the above. Except mine are on grass hay, not alfalfa. My QH gets a ration balancer made by Nutrena that is formulated for a grass/hay diet. He's still chunky but we've been out of work a few weeks.
    The yearling gets grass hay and Ultium Growth.
    They both get free choice loose minerals.

When I was graining the adult, I fed Tribute's Kalm N Ez pelleted formula but he's too much of an easy keeper.

The key is to introduce the grain slowly. Look for something with a low NSC.

6. RNTalley

RNTalley Registered

Yup! Thank you!

7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Round bale is okay unless he gains too much weight.

Just be sure you do not overfeed grain and take it slowly conditioning the horse to more activity. Condition his muscles like you would your own. Don't get him muscle sore and build up his strength and wind slowly.

8. RNTalley

RNTalley Registered

Yeah of course, he's been worked as a ranch horse on and off too but he's been at a brokers place with tons of other horses so he wasn't ridden as much.

9. slc

slc Senior Member

What kind of work specifically do you think of when you write 'a high activity level'?

10. RNTalley

RNTalley Registered

He's going to be more of an all around western horse, but he'll be competing in Drill Team at high rates of speed and playdays and just all in all he'll be ridden 3-4 times a week working on stuff so not super high performance horse but it's not like he's gonna be a trail horse/pasture ornament.