Feed Change Help

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by CautionWetPaint, Sep 10, 2012.

1. CautionWetPaint

CautionWetPaint Full Member

So for the last 3 years my horse has been on EmPower Boost by Nutrena. I have tried to slowly ween him off of it but if I decrease the portions at all he starts to drop the weight again within a couple of weeks. He is on two "scoops" a day (scoop: http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/204619-plastic_feed_scoop.html#.UE56tY2PXhw) and the last time we tried to get him off of the feed we dropped him to one scoop a day.

I was wondering if anyone has any other options to feed instead of this because since it is a fat supplement and a high energy feed it is making my calm and sweet horse rather "hot" and "touchy". He use to be the quietest calmest competitor in the show pen but now even with calming cookies and supplements he still gets nervous and worked up, doesn't focus and will sometimes start to try and rear or run around the arena.

So does anyone have any great fat supplements that help keep the weight on but don't "hype up" your horse?

2. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

What are you feeding besides Empower boost?

i recently switched to ADM feeds and really like what i see in their ingrediants and various feeds. You may want to look at their Primeglo. it is basically a concentrated grain PLUS a rice bran/fat supplement. So, the feeding recommendations are only 2-4 lbs per day, providing all the nutrients, vitamins, minerals, etc they need and a fat supplement. Harley has only been on it a month, but he LOVES the stuff and has never been much of a grain eater since i bought him (i was feeding Progressive grass balancer plus 1.5 lbs of moorglo)

3. CautionWetPaint

Ooops sorry I probably should have included his other feed huh? Lol he gets 1 1/2lbs Advanced Equine Technology (AET) complete feed in the AM plus the Boost and his SmartPak and then he gets 3lbs AET in the PM...both feedings he gets 2-3 Flakes rich alfalfa mix depending on flake size (bout 15lbs)

4. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

I'm not familiar wtih AET... is the 4 1/2 pounds the recommended amount for his age, size, work load, etc?

i'm personally not a fan of alfalfa and all mine get grass hay.. and as much of it as they can eat. Could you possibly add some some grass hay so you could feed that free choice?

5. CautionWetPaint

The AET is basically like Nutrena Prime in the same pellet form with the same nutritional value just different makers...and as for amounts he was on Nutrena Prime at school and got this same amount during a heavier work load per my instructors and barn manager...well he was actually getting 6lbs then I guess...I cut him back a little when feeding his supplements cause he wont finish it all if I give him a full scoop (3lbs) the way I do it is I give him 1/2 scoop AM and 1 1/2 scoops PM (each scoop is 3 lbs roughly)

As for the hay part...I'm kind of stuck to what my barn owner provides which it is very nice grass alfalfa mix that is rather rich so we have to watch how much we are giving them...he is turned out in a run with a little bit of grass but not enough to do much good...

All the other horses at the barn are on a flat 1 scoop AM plus 2 Flakes and 1 scoop PM plus 2 Flakes and they all hold weight just fine in fact some have been cut back on grain and or hay do them becoming "chunky monkeys"...mine is just a very hard keeper...

A little background: He did not always use to be a hard keeper. Before I got him he was able to be on pasture 24/7 with no grain and stay fat and happy...I took him to a boarding barn when I bought him and he was on pasture for a few months and did okay but needed a little grain to help his weight...then I decided to make him a stall horse since he kept getting nicks and bite marks and I wanted to show him...the hay quality was very poor (almost straw like) and the grain was what I just call a filler (mainly cracked oats...at least i think they were cracked...and corn...blech...) nothing of any good nutritional value...so I moved off to school and left my horse back home (at this point at a decent weight still)...well while I was away I don't exactly know how much they were feeding or what they were feeding the whole time but my horse lost weight drastically and you could see his ribs and his spine right above his tail was very prominent...I was NOT happy at his condition when I came home...so I quickly found a boarding barn where I live now for school and it was the best decision ever! After only a couple months on the AET plus the EmPower he was his happy chunky self again...but it came with the price of him living on the Empower from then on...

Cody is a Paint Gelding standing 15.2hh and weighs a good 1100 now but when he had lost weight we weighed him in at only 860 and that was AFTER a month of good feeding and putting some of the weight back on... :(