Favorite Workouts for Your Horse

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Bryndlegrace, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Bryndlegrace

Bryndlegrace Registered

As my horse gets fatter and fatter while he’s enjoying his break from rodeos and barrel races I start to formulate what workouts I’ll use to get him back into shape come early spring.
    What are your favorite workouts/exercises for getting your horse back into shape safely?

2. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

Are you feeding the same as when he was very active? Cutting back a bit may help cut his eight.

3. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

Weight Weight not eight.

4. Bryndlegrace

Bryndlegrace Registered

He is not on the same regimen and I’m not necessarily worried about his weight becoming an issue. What he has gained is simply from not being worked as often as he was during the season. I’m just curious as to what workouts other people use once it’s time to start legging up again :)

5. slc

slc Senior Member

I try not to give them breaks of more than a few days. I try to just always keep going with them.

6. Bryndlegrace

Bryndlegrace Registered

We ran nearly every weekend and sometimes twice in one weekend from May-October and I always give a few weeks off in the winter because I’ve always found it does good for them. The only reason he’s gotten more than the standard couple weeks is because I had surgery on my hand and can only do so much at the moment. Again, I’m just curious as to what others do to get their horses into shape :)

7. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I like to just go out and w/t/c straight lines in the fields, gradually increasing the time spent at the t/c. Then, I will start loping some large circles after they are in decent shape. Then I will put them back on the pattern and do spirals and pattern work (not necessarily the actual barrel pattern, I do lots of patterns with the barrels that aren't the actual pattern).

Alyssa Hughes likes this.
  8. slc

slc Senior Member

I keep it very very simple. No small or medium size circles, no skill work, no speed work. Put on a base of simple basic work.

That would be gradually increasing toward the program he was on before the break in work. If he was off 2 months, I'd spend at least 2 months getting him back to where he was, it would take longer if he was fitter when the work ended.

9. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

With Sparky, it's trail rides. Mostly walk and trot at first for a 30 or 40 minute ride, then add some cantering and lengthen the rides as he builds muscle and endurance.

With Bella, who confuses trails with the 6th race at Belmont, I start with laps around our boarding facility. There's a dirt road that runs a full circle around the entire facility, with a good hill at either end. It's almost exactly a half mile loop. So depending on how out of shape she is, we start with those. Generally it's 4 circuits or 2 miles. She's never so out of shape that she can't do that easily.

I do that for a week or so to get her back into work brain, then start using it as a warmup and adding arena work done correctly at a walk. When we've remembered how to walk correctly, we start working in trot as well. And when we've remembered how to work at a trot correctly, we add canter. I add both distance and time worked gradually, based on how they respond.

10. Binca

Binca Senior Member

10 sit ups
    10 push ups
    20 calf raises
    20 lunges
    10 dips
    (y)(y):whistle:

I do what everyone else is saying. Start slowly. Lots of walking at first - I try to go out on trails or between the paddock lane ways to keep things interesting.

Alyssa Hughes likes this.