Favorite tools

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by CarlisleChipper, Sep 3, 2018.

1. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

I'd like to buy new brushes for my new dapple grey gelding. My last horse I had was from 7 years ago so that's how old my generic purple brushes are and I'd like something high end that will last and make him sparkle.
    Pic for attention!
    20180903_154522.jpg

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

My new favorite thing is my cactus cloth, really really missed it this last weekend, one of the best things that I own in my grooming kit

3. QRTXhorseman

QRTXhorseman Senior Member

My favorite horse tool is my equine model of the Swiss Army Knife. The one I have includes the best designed hoof pick I have ever encountered. Its design is about 90-degrees off from most hoof picks and works to clean hoofs – especially one’s with shoes packed with grey clay – much more efficiently than other designs.

Regrettably, this model was changed and later discontinued altogether. I did a web search today and it seems a version slightly different from mine is back on the market. A couple of suppliers even claim to have it in stock.

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

mooselady likes this.
  5. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

honestly the most useful brush in my kit is the $6 Tiger Tongue.

CarlisleChipper likes this.
  6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

He's looking really good under your care, it's wonderful to see a Thoroughbred blossom. :love:

CarlisleChipper likes this.
  7. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

There is apparently an actually grooming brush set specifically for greys. It’s by HAAS & the reviews have been quite good.

I’ve been contemplating getting it for my new grey!

8. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

9. harli36

harli36 Senior Member

I love grooming. It's my favorite horsey thing to do. I have tried a ton of different brushes but about 4-5 years ago I tried some natural bristle brushes and on the first use I was a convert. They flick the dust off the horse without it sticking back onto the horse and cut grooming time in probably more than half. They also leave the horse shinnier than plastic bristle brushes. My brushes that I got 4ish years ago still look brand new. I currently use a soft curry and then a stiff synthetic brush if there was a lot of mud. I've never tried a natural bristle stiff brush because I only need the brush to help get bits of caked mud off and that's pretty much it. I then use a medium stiffness boars hair brush that does an excellent job of getting that fine dust off the horse, even for a horse with winter woolies. For summer I have a super soft goat hair brush that works great as a finishing brush. A rub rag for after is usually unnecessary with this method. It's honestly a shame that our industry has mostly switched over to crummy plastic bristle brushes, people don't know what they are missing. Cocoa brushes are said to be good for removing stains from greys but I don't have a grey so have never tried it.

10. LaceyInJuneau

LaceyInJuneau Full Member

Do it! They're worth it! However if your horse has sensitive skin they may not appreciate some of the haas brushes.

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.