Favorite Saddle Pads

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Hackatit, Oct 4, 2017.

?

What are you favorite things in a saddle pad?

1. 100% Wool Felt

85.7%
  2. 35% Wool-Felt Blend

19.0%
  3. Felt Underside

9.5%
  4. Fleece Underside

9.5%
  5. Real Sheepskin Underside

9.5%
  6. Shock-Absorbing Foam

4.8%
  7. No Foam

4.8%
  8. Wither Cut-Out

19.0%
  9. Wither Cut-Back (Flex Fit)

9.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hackatit

Hackatit Full Member

Hey y'all!!

I'm trying to take a poll of favorite qualities of western saddle pads. Also, please comment below your favorite brand/make specifically or your ~dream~ (one-I'll-sell-my-kidneys-for-it) type pad :D.

My thoughts:
    I currently own a Classic Equine ESP saddle pad. Overall, I'd rate it a 6/10. It was advertised as 1 1/2 inches thick (which it is shy from) and with 1/2 inch being high-quality memory foam- really it's 1/4 of an inch of poron. The felt's scratchy and the wither and spine cutout's are just not enough clearance for my liking. Most of all, the pad boomerangs the shock more than absorbing it. ANYWAY, my dream pad would be a Jen X Equine one, but that's a lot to spend.

2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

5 star Contour fit, which I rate a solid 11 out of 10.

It;s good in -30*c to plus 30*C, never slips or moves, never had a horse get sore wearing it. Brush it off when needed, wash it once a year. It survived the Awesome Mr Gibbs trying to kill it....love that thing.

RosasCantina, Cynical25 and HnA Tack like this.
  3. SoutherngirlBR

SoutherngirlBR Full Member

5 star hands down :cheerleader:

I used a classic Equine contour pad for awhile and I liked it but it just made my saddle slide everywhere and it was very hard to make it contour to my horse's shape, in fact I used it hard for a year and it never moved from the shape I bought it as. I've had my 5 star 7/8in thick barrel pad for almost a year and from day one it has fit my horse like a glove. I could probably lunge him with just the pad on and it would stay in place. It helps me settle my nervous at barrel races now that I know even if my saddle comes loose I'll probably have a high chance of staying put (y) Its also very flexible so if my horse moves, it moves with him. Something no other pad has done for me, I have pictures from old races of my classic pad way up in the air and to the side going around barrels because it just never moved...

Cynical25, HnA Tack and mooselady like this.
  4. HnA Tack

HnA Tack Senior Member

5 Star and only 5 Star. I started out selling a few different brands of pads (& tried most of them myself also) but ended up just carrying 5 Star since they are the only ones we use & the only one I 100% recommend.

Cynical25 likes this.
  5. 250girl

250girl Senior Member

I ride English and even I know , 5 star is the way to go. I have one for the rare occasion I toss up a western saddle!

6. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

See, I'm not a huge 5 star fan.
    I like my CSI and my Reinsman

7. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

5 star and Diamond Wool

miscetera likes this.
  8. miscetera

miscetera Senior Member

5 Star is probably the standard but I'm 100% satisfied with my Diamond Wool pads. They're less expensive than 5 Star which allows me to collect more bits.

bsaz likes this.
  9. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

I like my SPH Performance Gear and Diamond Wool pads, but I'm also eyeing up a Five Star since I hear they are fantastic and I just realized they sell one with a butterfly skirt to give a little extra leg contact.

10. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

@HnA Tack has a sale going on!