Faulty brake controller on my truck?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Allkian, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Allkian

Allkian Senior Member

I realize this is a bit off topic but I'm needing some experienced advice. I recently bought a brand new horse trailer. I also recently had my 7-pin flat plug on my truck rewired. Hooray! Everything on the trailer works EXCEPT the brakes. I'm thinking it might be the brake controller. I drive a '97 Chevy diesel and it had a controller installed so I'm not sure of its history; it is aftermarket. There is power to it, but my trailer brakes don't engage and I can't use the manual slide to engage the brakes.

I am skeptical to just take it to anyone, since I've had a lot of folks try to take advantage of me because I'm a young girl driving this old rust bucket truck. Soooo I want to have a pretty good idea of what I might need to do, before I take it to anyone. I am new to the area and don't know who's reputable or not.

Has anyone ever changed out a break controller? I took a look at it and it appears to be hardwire (i.e. no pigtail) so its not exactly plug and play. Would I be able to just cut the wires at the old controller, remove, and then solder to the wires of a new controller?

TIA!

2. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

If there is power at the plug on the truck the problem is at the trailer end.

3. Cynical25

Cynical25 Senior Member

My gas Ford needed a $12 Relay added to the fuse box to get my trailer brakes communicating with my truck brake controller. I know nothing about diesels or Chevys, but perhaps that's a starting point for you.

4. paval

paval Senior Member

Find someone who knows how to use a circuit tester.

Typically the wire for brakes on tow vehicle and trailer is blue, but not always.

Maybe call some RV dealerships and see if their shop will troubleshoot.

Since I don't think we're supposed to link to outside websites, I PM'd you a link to a page that tells you how to troubleshoot when brake controller has power but trailer brakes aren't working.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    JStorry likes this.
  5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

More likely they rewired the pin wrong.

6. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

Guessing you do not have power to the pin that makes the brake connection.

Also if your controller is not new, upgrade it to a proportional controller like a prodigy p2 or p3. Your horses will thank you when they are not getting jerked around by an old time delay controller.

manesntails likes this.
  7. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

Does your brake controller light up? If so it has power.

There is a 7 wire plug tester available. Really simple, it has a little light indication for all 7 pins. Plug in and they light up. If you want to be sure pick one of those up (my local truck shop sells then m for like 20$) then you have an idea if you have power to the plug. If all that works it's a trailer problem.

Another easy way to check is to hook up to another trailer if you can and see if everything works on the truck end.

Eta - replacing a brake controller is simple, but it would not be he first place I checked.

paval and manesntails like this.
  8. Shmee

Shmee Senior Member

In terms of finding a mechanic, you might want to check the Mechanix Files on the CarTalk website. That’s where I look every time I move to a new city.

9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Get them to check out how the pin is wired first. Years ago the guy put a wire wrong on mine and I had no lights on one side. It matters which wire goes to what position.