Fastest way to dry a horse?

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by draftmare, Feb 21, 2019.

1. draftmare

draftmare Full Member

My horse sweats like crazy any time we do any small amount of canter work in the winter. I usually towel the wettest spots and then put her BoT mesh cooler on her while I go about cleaning up my grooming area, however with the temps being in the upper 20s and low 30s lately she is sweating a lot more, and I have noticed that she will still be damp even an hour later. A little while back I saw an ad on Facebook for a powder that is supposed to help a horse dry faster, but now I can't find it. Does anybody have any suggestions on helping my horse dry faster and more completely? It still gets down into the teens at night and while she has a medium weight blanket on I try to avoid turning her out damp.

2. RusticR

RusticR Senior Member+

A real wool cooler. When I was taking jumping lessons in Canada the school horses had full winter coats and would be very sweaty. They had actual wool coolers and after about an hour they were dry underneath. The coolers would be soaked though.

Cynical25 and Puddincup like this.
  3. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I have a Rambo dry rug which works very well. I clip, but I would do the dry rug with my square wool cooler on top in that situation. BOT works fine as a cooler, but I don't think it's the best choice in this situation. If no dry rug, I'd still try to layer 2 if you have them, like a fleece with wool on top, or even double layer of fleece with a little air in-between. Another good trick is to layer some straw or hay under the cooler in the wettest areas.

4. Morganhorse321

Morganhorse321 Senior Member+

I’ve heard of people putting hay/straw under a cooler or blanket. Supposedly helps the moisture to dry up quickly

5. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

We used to do that, thatching, it was called.

I much prefer my Rambo Dry Rug.

6. Suzanneszoo

Suzanneszoo Senior Member

Get a little spray bottle with rubbing alcohol and a nice heavy towel. Rub the wet hair in circles with the towel, then lightly spritz with the rubbing alcohol, and rub again with a dry section of the towel. The alcohol helps with those little wet stubborn spots that never seem to dry because the hair is so darn thick. Changes the evaporative qualities of the sweat.

I wouldn't do a whole horse, but for that spot behind the elbow that NEVER dries on my Fjord, its a perfect quick fix.

mooselady likes this.