Farrier Charges and Fees

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Kelsey5674, May 17, 2009.

1. Kelsey5674

Kelsey5674 Senior Member

How much does your farrier charge for his work, like hoof trim, front shoes only, shod all the way around, corrective shoeing, pads, resetting the shoes, etc. Does your farrier do extra things for your horse, put hoof disinfectant on or conditioner, things like that. I am trying to compare some work a little bit. Thanks for your input.

2. Buckshot

Buckshot Senior Member+

$27 a horse for a trim; it cost me around $75 to get shoes all the way around three years ago.

3. jokersbardee

jokersbardee Senior Member+

We trim our own every few weeks and I have my farrier come out every couple of months to check our work, my bay has crooked legs and is hard to keep balanced. He charges us $35 per horse for a trim and when we used to use shoes it was $65. Jeeze, I remember years ago when it was $25 for shoes :rolleyez:

4. prettyqtrs

prettyqtrs Senior Member+

Our farrier is also the perosn that we buy our hay from. So we get a bit of a discount, as he trims when he hauls hay out for us. :) $25 per horse for a trim.
    I dont shoe any of mine, so couldn't tell you what that would cost. And anything I want put on my horses hooves I would do myself- so, free. :D

5. PeggySue

PeggySue Senior Member+

$25 to trim all four
    $55 for front shoes back trim
    $75 for all four shoes...

his price does vary if the horse acts up or needs corrective work or special shoes but the charge depends on WHAT it needs

6. Berkeley1

Berkeley1 Senior Member

WOW! You all have cheap farriers! I wish I was that lucky! There are 2 that come to the barn where I board

The one I use charges, $50.00 for a trim, $65.00 for fronts and $90.00 for all around (if the horse needs clips, add $10.00 to that!) add $25.00 for aluminum.

The other one is outrageous! $75.00 for a trim, $90.00 for fronts and $130.00 and up for all round. $160.00 for aluminum fronts and metal hinds! CRAZY!

7. pleasurepony

pleasurepony Senior Member+

My show horse is $150 to get shod all the way around. He charges per individual though...how much work they take, what materials he uses, etc. Some horses are only $80 all the way around, some can be $400+ for intensive corrective work, it all depends. He's a master though, he's totally worth it.

My other farrier for my retired mare charges $30 for a trim.

8. jwhisperj

jwhisperj Senior Member

My ferrier drives 40 miles and charges $20 bucks a trim, I don't know about shoes because we don't need them. He is wonderful with the horses and really knows his stuff, my mom has a problem horse who needs pads and specially made shoes do to laminitus sp. I sure am glad I am here and not where some of you folks are!!

9. bnwalker2

bnwalker2 Senior Member+

My farrier is $15 for a trim. That's all I ever have him do so I have no clue what he'd charge for anything else.

10. Dancers Mom

Dancers Mom Senior Member+

I pay 80.00 for front shoes and back trimmed. Someone at the barn only trims by the same farrier and it's 35.00.