Falling Off

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Snow White Horse, Feb 23, 2018.

?

Who Else Has Fallen Off (as of 2.23.2018)?

1. I have!

9 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. I haven't!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Snow White Horse

Snow White Horse Full Member

Hello, fellow horse lovers!
    It's been a little over two months since I've been on here, but I'm back 'cause I have a story to share. :)
    My two sisters and I had a lesson today, and we've been taking lessons since 2014 (though only 'steadily' since November 2016), and it was my first time cantering bareback today, and I rode Buddy, the lovely horse in my avatar. And, my younger sister fell off a few years ago for the first time, and my older sister has fallen off twice. But me? Nope, I hadn't! Until today when we were cantering and rounding a corner... Buddy's canter is super smooth, and it was pretty easy to sit once into it, but my balance isn't the great--and even worse on the corners today! I slid too much, and hung on tightly, trying desperately to stay on, but it was too late...and down I went! I thought he was gonna' trample me, but he didn't. My instructor said she was certain he didn't even touch me. Sweet Buddy tried his hardest to not hit me with his hooves, and I fell off on his blind side, too. My sisters were just waiting for this day, lol! I was shocked as I lay on the ground on my back, to be honest. :p My older sister likes joking around and saying I'm glued to the horse, haha! And it's weird, 'cause they said I was stiff, and looked like a board falling off!? :eek: Umm...and...yeah. That's my story. I am okay and got back on shortly after, then cantered again to end on a good note. (y) But my inner right thigh hurts--especially when I walk on it!
    Sorry for making my story long!

Any comments? Or, anyone wanna' share your story of falling off (or how you haven't fallen off yet in your years of riding, perhaps)? <3

2. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Your not a true equestrian until you have eaten dirt.

3. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

I used to fall off all the time when I was young, now I average once every 3-5 years, last fall was a doosey just over a year ago(2/21/17). I planned and landed on my feet and fractured my ankle, still dealing with chronic pain from that.
    I wrote about it here when it happened, unfortunately the photos won't load any longer because of photobucket. It was pretty ugly tho lol

Oh how I love the taste of dirt :-(

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

I don't agree with the 'not a true equestrian til you eat dirt' - not at this point in a rider's career. Putting kids in situations where they fall off leads to poor riding habits ('defensive riding.').

5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Well, anyone who says they've never fallen off just hasn't been riding long IMO.

6. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I am 57 and have fallen off in many interesting and spectacular ways. The longer I ride, the less I fall. I imagine part of it is because I've improved as a rider, part of it is because I don't ride as hard as I used to, and part of it is because the ground has gotten a lot harder and I will go through incredible contortions to keep from hitting it.

Congratulations on your first fall. My motto was always, "If you're not falling off, you're not riding hard enough." :p

Snow White Horse, bsaz and AmyK like this.
  7. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

I’ve always had a seat like glue, too. I didn’t have my first fall until about 19? But once I got it “out of the way” it was almost a burden lifted off. Glad you weren’t seriously hurt!! You got back in the saddle and that’s a good thing!

Snow White Horse likes this.
  8. Loona

Loona Full Member

I had a lot of falls in my riding school time. It was the time when the horses didn't get turn out in winter and monday was their day off. My lesson was the first on tuesday.:eek: A lesson was considered as success if you managed to stay on your horse. Did't learn much riding but how to sit some serious bucking...
    With my first horse I fell on my knees right in front of the horse facing him. Sadly nobody saw how I managed to do that.:hah:
    Knee still hurts 20 years later.
    I had one serious fall that could have gone really bad, but luckily both horse and I only got some bruises.
    We were galloping on a path next to a plowed field. My horse made a jump to the side to avoid a deep branch an got one foot in the field. We both flipped over me lying under him. After a few tries of him to get up I could get out under him and take of the saddle so he could get up.
    Sadly no pictures for you when we came home covered in mud:rofl:

9. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

I used to bring home the rankest horses within 75 miles, re-school them and find them good homes with trail riders.

If I didn't go off a horse at least once a week, I was riding the wrong horse:)

Snow White Horse likes this.
  10. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

“It takes at least three falls before you learn to keep your balance. “
    Quote a proverb I was taught when a kid.

Anyone who says they never fall isn't, as of yet, a rider.