Fairy Tail Equines has 32 horses seized.

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by meljean, Feb 16, 2016.

1. meljean

meljean Senior Member

fairy.JPG 32 Horses Seized from Fairy Tail Equines | Rate My Horse PRO

After months of investigating, Connecticut officials seized 32 horses from Gypsy Vanner breeders in East Hampton on Tuesday. Tom and Melanie Olajos, the operators of Fairy Tail Equines, are the subject of an on-going animal cruelty investigation, according to the state.

The Connecticut Department of Agriculture says it worked for months to provide the couple oversight regarding the care of their animals, but the help failed. Investigators say the animals are malnourished after not receiving proper vet care. The animals were also allegedly kept in unhealthy living conditions. The seized horses include Andalusians, Fresians, and Gypsy Vanners. Also removed were more than 80 chickens, two dogs, cats, and rabbits.

More in above link.

CoffeeBean likes this.
  2. PureTrouble

PureTrouble Senior Member

Those poor poor horses!

CoffeeBean likes this.
  3. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Holy bat guano.

Okay, my only quibble is with this sentence, "Photos we obtained exclusively of horses at Fairy Tails Equine show the horses ate the bark off the trees as high as they could reach while turned out in dirt pens."

A long-time, now elderly, family friend gave me her gelding and come to find out he LOVES to eat the bark off of trees and last winter he girdled a high percentage of the trees in the paddocks. Trees that my horses had left alone for YEARS. Completely ignoring the hay provided. He's evil regarding trees. So I can see it being a case of a horse or two who has a connoisseur's taste for tree bark.

Yes, I see the photos and the comment on eating tree bark is likely how the horses were trying to keep themselves from starving. I just wanted to point out that horses with access to good hay, water, veterinary care and even grain twice a day can still destroy trees. I think he's doing it to make it clear I'm his attendant now.

Those poor horses. I'm glad that CT took their time to try to work WITH this couple, even as they were gathering evidence to seize horses/take the couple to court if they couldn't or wouldn't get it together. Animal control CAN get it right at both ends.

Having written that, every defendant should have a competent defense lawyer and a vigorous defense. They look very guilty to me but they are legally entitled to one.

Hey, it's how West Wind Acres got their draft horses back, including the colt that was foaled while at the horse rescue (one that has very shady finances - yes, I checked).

4. TLFC

TLFC Senior Member

Very sad.

5. D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings Senior Member

Properties in foreclosure, behind on their lease payments, out of money and out of luck.
    Too bad they were not able to sell/rehome horses before it went south.

Without money there is not much one can do to provide feed. -Just sayin'

I'm glad the horses are in a better place.

I notice there are no pix of cats, dogs or chickens; no comment on their condition... wonder if there was a reason to seize them as well or just 'you can't have any animals'

6. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Thats not just hungry, thats Starving.
    My horses taste-tested some trees too, despite having ample hay & feed, but hust at the bases. To chew off everything these could reach, more than boredom imo.
    Theres usually cheap options, for keeping herbivores. It doesnt get much simpler to do the basics.
    My 1050 was getting maybe a pound (cheated) when he lost 100 lbs, weighed in @975, and we pulled out of that barn. For these to all lose 100s, theyre getting nothing or next to it.
    Only other horse Ive seen look like That is broodmare BO took in. She was 900 instead of 1300. Thats not hungry, its starved.

7. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

"To chew off everything these could reach, more than boredom imo."

You haven't met my newest donation/acquisition - the beaver. Nope, he has a thing for trees. It's really annoying as it means there are at least four that need to be felled this spring summer and of course, they're going to be a challenge to get down without wiping out fencing.

8. all4him

all4him Senior Member

Yep - we've had horses at our barn through the years that despite full hay nets, they munched away at the bark of the trees so much that when we planted new trees to replace those now dead ones, they were encased in chain link fence!!

happygolucky and CoffeeBean like this.
  9. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Which, of course, is not the case with Fairy Tales Equines...

However, there are horses who definitely have a thing for tree bark.

10. all4him

all4him Senior Member

Very correct!! You can tell the difference just by nature of looking at the condition of the horse. A fat horse eating bark is one thing. A VERY thin horse eating bark because there is nothing else around is another.

CoffeeBean and happygolucky like this.