Eye Woes

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by NaeNae, Apr 27, 2018.

1. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

[​IMG]

Katie buggered her eye. (n)

Noticed it about a week and a bit ago, came in one day and it was slightly teary. Watched it for a couple of days. Next day it was better, third day it was teary again and she was holding it half shut. Squeezed it open and she had the tiniest bit of cloudiness towards the back corner of the iris. Had the vet out last Friday, unfortunately from a practice that I'm not a huge fan of but since our move they are one of few who will come out to the area that I'm in. They are cow vets expanding into the equine world and just wouldn't be my first choice.

Anyways, vet came, froze her eyelid, popped the dyes in and found a small ulceration where the cloudiness was, and then a small cornea scratch across the middle of the eye. Gave me some banamine for the pain and then a knock off version of BNP to put in her eye 3x a day for the next 5 days.

It got better for a bit, and then Tuesday/Wednesday this week, started tearing a bit more! As of yesterday when I saw her in the evening, she was holding it half shut again and it was teary. Going to call the vet again and meet them there after I'm finished at work today.

Jingles for my girl. :(

[​IMG]

ginster and Dona Worry like this.
  2. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Jingle jingle!

NaeNae likes this.
  3. slc

slc Senior Member

Hopefully some more treatment will take care of it.

ginster and NaeNae like this.
  4. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

That's the hope. Maybe I can get something a little stronger this go around.

5. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

If it is sunny you may want to put a fly mask on her as well. When Smoke got an ulceration to her eye, we, vet and I, treated it for several weeks, would come and go, come and go, we did stains, still wasn't really responding to the treatment, even with a heavier ophthalmic antibiotic. Turns out, she had a fungal infection as well as an ulceration so we treated it with a course of antibiotics and an OTC fungal infection cream....cleared up within a week.

Good luck. Eye problems are no fun.

doublelranch and NaeNae like this.
  6. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

Ditto put a fly mask on her.

Guardian makes a fly mask for injuries. It is expensive but IMO, I would spend the money before risking her losing her eyesight.

I would post the link but the Internet has not been cooperating since a major cable got chopped in half somewhere south of me yesterday

manesntails and NaeNae like this.
  7. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

I'll ask about fungal stuff.

She does have a fly mask on now too, all day, as it's finally sunny for once.

OldGreyMare and gaitedboomer like this.
  8. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

BO said last night at turn in it was looking decent, this morning was weepy again but fully open.

Just scheduled to meet the vet in 3 hours so maybe I can get a stronger cream to really help heal this.

manesntails and OldGreyMare like this.
  9. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

So they checked her again. The scratch is all healed up but the ulceration and cloudiness at the back corner of her eye is still there. She sedated and froze her and checked the entire eye cavity and nothing is stuck in there and no tumors.

They took a culture and a scrape of her eye to go for testing as well as some stronger antibiotics and a cream to help dialate her pupil as it’s shrunken up a bit. Hopefully the new drugs work.

ginster and gaitedboomer like this.
  10. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Sitting here waiting for her to wake up.

Luckily we have a few overcast days coming up so she can have relief from the sun and fly mask.

Attached Files:

gaitedboomer likes this.