Eye Inflammation? (Please help me identify it)

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Jo C., Jul 23, 2018.

1. Jo C.

Jo C. Registered

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate the suggestion. My farrier came today who is very knowledgeable about horse physiology and I have found him to be very trustworthy that way, he suggested that it could be a condition called 'fly eye' which is caused by bacteria from flies around his eyes. Are you familiar with that condition and would you say that it could be a possibility?

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Farriers are not Vets. Call the Vet, or do what the farrier says and take the chance it spreads. If it is cancer, he loses the eyelid, then the eye because he has no way to keep flies or anything else out of it.

ginster likes this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Get the vet out. Would you ask a dentist about heart problems?

Get the vet.

froglander, ginster and manesntails like this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

It's not fly eye. Your farrier is not a vet. Do you understand that this hurts the horse and treatment is getting delayed?

ginster and manesntails like this.
  5. Jo C.

Jo C. Registered

I am not trying to delay, this is the first horse I have ever owned and I am not used to dealing with these types of situations- I am still learning. I don't need a lecture. I came here looking for advice. I feel very strongly about giving my animals proper healthcare and I have already decided that I will call a vet. Please do not assume that I wouldn't call one if I felt he had a potentially serious issue.

GONE ROPING likes this.
  6. Jo C.

Jo C. Registered

Please understand that I am new to owning horses and I have not dealt with situations like this before so I am still learning how to deal with it. I am trying to get as much information as possible so that I can make a decision that will be best for my horse who I care about very deeply. Of course, if there is potential for a serious problem I wouldn't hesitate to contact a vet. I don't appreciate feeling judged just because I am looking for advice before acting.

7. ginster

ginster Senior Member

How do you know the problem is serious if you are new to horse ownership?
    You posted on here and those who answered are very experienced horse people.
    To a one, they told you that your horse´s condition was very likely cancer. That is a serious condition, right?
    So, even if they were wrong - the only one to determine that is a vet.
    Everyone posting on here, especially in the health section, is doing it to help the horses. We tend to get a little impatient when someone seems to be dragging their feet instead of getting the vet out *now*.
    You posted this thread on monday. Today is friday. The vet still hasn´t been to see this horse. Who is likely in pain.

manesntails and Baboo like this.
  8. Jo C.

Jo C. Registered

You are saying I shouldn’t listen to my farrier because he isn’t a vet, well neither are you. You may be an expirienced horse owner, but so is my farrier so there seems to be a contradiction. I am not at all dragging my feet, you do not know my personal circumstances and the fact that you are basically accusing me of being careless with my horse’s health is very offensive. Perhaps if you were in my position you would understand what my predicament is. I was hoping that I would get support and friendly suggestions or ideas by posting on this forum but instead I feel attacked and I am not being treated with care. I am concerned for my horse which is why I posted and now all people see is that I’m not getting the wagon rolling fast enough. What is it you think I am trying to do by getting advice and suggestions from all possible avenues? Doing reasearch late into the night and asking my horse knowledgeable friend- and even strangers- to help me get information that I will need. I am not AT ALL dragging my feet. I don’t need to be scrutinized by people who don’t even know me, or my life, or my horse.

9. ginster

ginster Senior Member

What kind of support were you looking for? People told you what they thought and their support was suggesting to get the vet out ASAP as this is very likely something very serious.
    What more would you have liked to hear? You need to get the horse diagnosed and a treatment plan set up. We can´t do that. Your farrier shouldn´t do that. Only your vet can do that.

I don´t know what your predicament is, true.
    To me, it sounds that you would like to get opposing views, someone to tell you that this isn´t all that serious. And I can understand that (hearing the word cancer sure is a shock to the system)...but is it worth gambling your horse´s health? Especially since he had these issues even before you bought him?

Hopefully, this will be easily treatable and surgery and recovery won´t take to long or be too expensive.
    It does still boil down to "get the vet out" though. Get a diagnosis and go on from there.
    And if it is cancer, then yes, time is of essence. Don´t wait too long.

manesntails and reicheru like this.
  10. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

It looks like tissue growth to me based on the pic. I doubt it is caused by bacteria from flies. Considering your horse's age, a quick vet checkup is prudent.
    No one is saying a farrier, or anyone else, can't have a valid opinion - in this case, members of this forum, myself included, don't agree that it is a fly-related problem and have suggested that a vet should be consulted. Many of us have had horses with malignancies in and around the eye. Most of us have learned about horse health BY consulting vets. If you don't want honest opinions, don't post here. We are concerned with your horse, not hurt feelings.
    If you Google equine squamous cell carcinoma eye images you will find examples that clearly show why people here are suggesting it could be malignant. We are not saying it definitely is cancer, but that it is a very real possibility based on your pic. That's why the vet is needed.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018