Eye Discharge?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by born2ride_33, Jun 27, 2006.

1. born2ride_33

born2ride_33 Senior Member

My horse's eye has yellow discharge running from it and it's kind of swollen. What is this and is there anything I can do to help it? He's had it for around 5-6 days now. :cool:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006

2. 3WishesDun

3WishesDun Senior Member+

Honestly.... eyes are not something you want to risk. I would call the vet straight away. Good luck.

3. born2ride_33

Hmmm, I was thinking it could be allergies because he does have them. My pony got the same thing once before and hers cleared up and she is perfectly healthy now. Our road is pretty dusty and they are in a pasture close to it right now. Could he have gotten dust in his eye or could it be allergies?? Or he does have a pretty long forelock that maybe could have irritated him, I braided it up to see if it helps...

4. 3WishesDun

3WishesDun Senior Member+

That sure could be the cause. Maybe the braid along with a fly mask would be helpful. If there was no any change then I would worry about some type of abrasian. Hope it gets better!

5. spyro1

spyro1 Senior Member+

Hmmm, swelling, along with yellow discharge doesnt sound like allergies to me. Normally with allergies, there is a clear discharge. Check the corner of her eye (very carefully) for fly eggs. Sometimes that can cause an irritation. IF you see little yellow eggs, carefully flush the corner of her eye out with some clear eyes. Fly masks are a wonderful invention for horses with sensitive eyes. The swelling bothers me though.....

3WishesDun likes this.
  6. born2ride_33

If you would like I can get pics of it right away to show you what it looks like. I'm not sure if it is still swollen or not. I'm sure you could probably tell me.

7. born2ride_33

I just went out and took some pics. His eye doesn't seem to be swollen anymore and there is no longer yellow gunk, it's a lot better than it was this morning, it actually looks almost normal :cool: . Here are the pics...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
  8. spyro1

spyro1 Senior Member+

Looks like an irritaion to me. (I am not a vet though:)) Did you flush with some saline or clear eyes?? How is it looking today?

9. SammyDoodle

SammyDoodle Senior Member+

Sam's eyes can get a bit gunky if he is irritated by flies or dust.

I use a fly mask in the summer when needed and I just wipe his eyes with cotton wool pads, warm water with a little salt in it if they are a bit weepy. I prefer pads to a sponge so I can throw away after use - not environmentally friendly I know but makes me sure each wipe is with something clean.

If the weepyness (???? prob not a word) is clear and is pretty runny I put a little vasaline below the eye to stop the "tears" burning his skin

10. Ryle

Ryle Senior Member+

Swelling and discharge from one eye is probably not allergy related, if it were both eyes then that would be more likely. Eyes should always be examined as soon as possible by a veterinarian because permanent damage can occur very quickly if there is damage to the cornea.