Extremely overprotective mother

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by slc, Jul 11, 2018.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

My friend's mom was extremely overprotective of him after two of her other sons died (one of illness as an infant, one in a car accident as an adult). I'm stunned at how severely it affected him.

Have you met someone who grew up extremely over-protected, even one of your own siblings? How did it affect the person? What do you think about it?

2. Squirt!!

Squirt!! Full Member

Over protection to the extreme is based from mental illness. Anxiety, fear, codependency - leads to children who also being fearful, anxiety ridden who must seek out others to mentally support them.

Sounds familiar huh?

Guess humans are not so different from horses after all lol

ginster and meljean like this.
  3. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Of course it's harmful. How is a child able to develop a healthy self conficende when it's not allowed to do things, try things, be socially active but constantly gets too much and too negative attention and the mother as the childs role model sees the world as a fundamentally hostile and dangerous place?

Overprotecting is a subtle form of child abuse and can result in mental problems that are as severe as the problems of neglect victims. Probably the most likely are personallity disorders and anxiety disorders, or in milder cases symptoms that go in that direction. If you get raised that way it makes you fundamentally unfit for life.

ginster, meljean and RG NIGHT HEIR like this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

So there is no way to overcome that?

5. Squirt!!

Squirt!! Full Member

Therapy

ginster and RG NIGHT HEIR like this.
  6. slc

slc Senior Member

What type? This fellow talks about his problems a lot (to everyone) but that doesn't seem to change anything.

7. Squirt!!

Squirt!! Full Member

Psychological therapy ...Lol

ginster and RG NIGHT HEIR like this.
  8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

It depends on whether or not the kid has the same personality traits as the parent or not. Tend towards being fearful and overprotective by nature, and that doesn't mean that every one of your kids will have your personality. Nature over nurture.

My mother would not let me do ANYTHING until I was 12. I had to get up before her and escape. Didn't make me “fearful, introverted, antisocial,“ etc, etc.

9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

He'd probably beech even if he had a perfect childhood. Some people just fixate and blame others instead of solving their own issues. If all he does is talk about “poor me, looky how bad I had it“, a good kick in the backside might help.

meljean likes this.
  10. Squirt!!

Squirt!! Full Member

Even if the kid didn’t seem to have the similar traits - he/she would definitely benefit from therapy to help the kid understand his/her relationship with the mother and others.

ginster likes this.