Extreme heat, how do you get some relief to your horse?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by RG NIGHT HEIR, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

I keep Charms mane braided and sponge bath with luke warm water (not cold). Neck, chest, belly/udder and bum are all hot spots that I keep damp.

Always remove excess water as that can make them even hotter.

When I am there I bring her in and put her under fans.

She has access to an automatic waterer that stays cold. And a huge shelter.

So far she is doing well in the heat.

2. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

It was hot here for about a week too! My guys have shade at all times no matter the time of day & 99% of the time there is at least a breeze if not wind blowing through the property. I was still riding, though was doing so early in the AM to beat the heat & staying inside out of direct sunlight (no shaded riding area, unless indoors unfortunately) . Everyone had full water tanks, and the girls came in each day while I was working them. Our barn gets a great breeze through it - so much so that I was in a sweater this weekend while in the barn <-- now before you say "ah well you're up in cold Canada, it was 75*F when I had a sweater on!

Other than that, everyone gets hosed off and then scraped off and they all served very well :)

RG NIGHT HEIR likes this.
  3. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

Well for now our heat wave is over and we have our beautiful San Diego weather back.A bit more humid but much cooler.
    Thanks for all the great ideas.