Extraordinary Horse Photos

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Alsosusieq2, Feb 7, 2019.

1. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

Aqha has banned poling, at least at shows in warmups, in trail classes. It used to be quite common. They want the horse to lift his legs higher so he doesn’t roll or tic a pole while going over them. What they do at home is, of course, unknown.

I thought that picture of the jumper is amazing. And he doesn’t look stressed by it, either.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. slc

slc Senior Member

It is banned in many places. Years ago a big name show jumper in Germany was fined $25,000 for poling in his own stable. And at the time $25,000 was a lot of money.

Yes, at his home barn. They are extremely serious about such things being illegal in some countries.

Not quite so in USA. George Morris had a metal 'pole' put on a jump a few years ago, a horse hit it, knocked it loose, was 'staked'(stabbed in the body, the chest as I recall), and the horse died on the spot.

Because it was between horse shows, the organization's rules were decided to not apply, and neither Morris nor anyone else faced any consequences.

There was a lot of online chit chat about it, mostly about how brave all concerned were and how wonderful horses are, how it was not George Morris' fault, obviously, as poling is common and it was a freak accident and so on.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Paul Schockemöhle.
    Though his then barn-rider Rene Tebbel took the brunt. He has been kinda, sorta blacklisted since then and was hardly ever considered for Nation's Cups, EC, WEG or Olympics eventhough he was often one of the most successful riders in those years.
    Franke Sloothaak was a rider for Schockemöhle at the time as well but he came out mostly unscathed as well. Ludger Beerbaum hat just left the stable a short while before the story blew up. (He had had an affair with Schockemöhle's wife.)

4. slc

slc Senior Member

Quite a story, wasn't it. If I remember correctly, an employee planted a camera in the ceiling of the indoor arena.

Anyway, especially in contrast with the Morris incident I mentioned, it's clear that some countries are far stricter about it than the US.

5. ginster

ginster Senior Member

The way I renember it, some reporters hid in the bushes by the outdoor arena..
    It is considered animal cruelty here in Germany, much like rollkur, but I don't think anyone is actually enforcing the "no barring" rule of the FEI. Sure, you don't see it in the warm up but whatever happens at home remains a secret.
    Schockemöhle wasn't even charged back then. They got him, like Al Capone, via tax evasion.
    And it obviously hasn't damaged his image one bit either.

6. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

poor horses, don’t have a say in very much. They do, for the most part, what is asked of them. Or try to do so.

7. slc

slc Senior Member

He has a lot of money today. And a huge breeding operation.

I would never have the occasion to do business with him, but if I did, I wouldn't. Him, Helgestrand, others.

ginster likes this.
  8. slc

slc Senior Member

I read he was fined. 25,000, for poling. So that was wrong? How come they could not fine him?

9. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Really? I couldn't find anything about that.
    Oh and re. Rene Tebbel: just read up a bit on him and not only was he involved in the poling incident, he was found to have blistered his championship horse a few years later..and in 2007 one of his hirses, a mare, was found to be doped with testosterone.
    What I find surprising is is that his son is currently treated like the second coming. He is a young but extremely successful rider. Just makes wonder if daddy only showed him how to ride ....or other things as well...

slc likes this.
  10. slc

slc Senior Member

Many people in the horse world reinvent themselves successfully....

That's one thing about getting old. One starts to notice that a great many people seem to have invented utterly new pasts for themselves.

ginster likes this.