Explosive Horse

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Nitro17, May 15, 2017.

1. Arem

Arem Senior Member

It's "just how they grow" because they aren't properly taken care of.

manesntails likes this.
  2. Tige Ress

Tige Ress Full Member

Time for a newer farrier.

Arem likes this.
  3. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

My previous farrier tried to make my horse's foot get bigger by putting on shoes that were bigger than his feet. Never worked. She shod him for six years. At age 12 for him I changed farriers. He made a big difference for Foxy in movement and never losing a shoe to making them bigger. Which I didn't realize until he had an abscess last year and his old Easy Boots that he wore all the time due to losing shoes with the old farrier were too small.

A friend of mine's horse with laminitis and now chronic abscesses I put my old Easy Boots on and they were too big. Her horse is 16.1 and 1500 lbs with size one shoes while mine is 15.3 about 1300 lbs with size two shoes. Her horse also had very high heels, mine does not.

4. Nitro17

Nitro17 Senior Member

**UPDATE
    So, we got back from the clinic on Thursday night. It was a crazy, but good clinic.
    So i gave Nitro Friday, and Saturday off.
    I rode Nitro tonight. He was super hot headed from having a few days off and there was a cool breeze that had all the horses a little frisky. But he did ok. We took a long time warming up, and he felt good. But the second I asked for a trotted, he just wanted to go. So i circled him and tried to dial it down. We then loped a few circles. I first practiced just randomly choosing a barrel, doing a drill were i do a big circle, medium, and then turn the barrel and walk off. Then pick another barrel to do the same thing. Then I set up the pattern. I would trot up to my first barrel, stop, back a step then turn the barrel. Did that for every barrel and did that drill 2 times. He was going really good and didn't swing his hip at all. And then i trotted it without stopping at the barrel. When i got to the first, i would sit down, drop my hand to the horn(just to get him used to it) and turn the barrel. Instead of slowing and rating the turn, he tried loping through the turn. It was a nice barrel, but know I know i need to work on rate before and during the turn. But ya, he turned a nice set of cans tonight. Really proud of him. Then I walked through poles really getting him to side pass/leg yield in between the poles and not just widely weaving through them which he likes to do. His end pole is really bad. He'll turn it good, but coming out is too wide. So I tried to make the pocket bigger to turn so he could come out of it closer to the pole, but it still didn't work. Suggestions?
    And then, with a friend, we went for a very short trail ride. There is a large field across the street that we will ride in. He enjoyed it, being away from patterns and arenas.
    I then untacked him and re-braided his mane. Oopps, I am supposed to do it every Friday..

5. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

I will not read beyond that line.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. When you don't have proper speed control you don't do any speed stuff. And circling is not an antidote to uncontrolled forward, it's an emergency method to stop the behaviour but it is not a causal remedy and will not install better aid compliance, thirdly, a horse doesn't simply get non-compliant to very basic aids by having a few days off with turnout. There is more going wrong when a horse suddenly refuses to go slow.

Back to beginning, you need proper basic training, not specialty discipline training. That's all there is to say here. And if your instructor doesn't notice that he or she is just crap.

6. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Simple! Fix his feet (it's hard for horses to turn sharp on bad feet) get a trainer for you, get a trainer for your horse, and quit trying to pretend you are one and that you have everything under control. You are going to ruin this horse if you continue as you are.

Dakota328 likes this.
  7. wpgrider

wpgrider Senior Member

Maaan a video sure would help.

ginster and mooselady like this.
  8. Blue-Roan

Blue-Roan Senior Member

Sounds like (I'm going to say it again) you and your horse both need basic training. How on earth can you run barrels or poles when your horse won't even stay in the gait that you choose? In this case, he wouldn't keep a steady trot.

Also, this horse gets hotheaded from having just a couple days off? Sounds like you're overhorsed here. Also, a light breeze is definitely not an excuse to act up. Stop trying to make excuses for misbehaviour (on the parts of both yourself and the horse).

ginster likes this.
  9. Nitro17

Nitro17 Senior Member

**UPDATE
    I rode Nitro again tonight. I brushed him and tacked him up. Got on and i took my time with his warm up. To really get him thinking and listening. I did a lot of stuff at the walk. I worked on the basic stop and back. I worked in pivoting both directions. I worked on leg yielding both directions. We worked on walking circles and keeping his shoulder up, and not dipping. He did really good and was really in tune. Then i started trotting. He was excited but listening to me and lot better than the other night, and i could keep very soft hand on him. I was thinking a lot about my seat. When i first got him, if i was unbalanced at all in the seat he would be angry. In fact, he hated it when I would post the trot, but he's gotten better. So i just post his large trot with out really thinking twice. So I was really thinking about my seat. And i sat down, and sat the trot. The second i did that he was a lot calmer and slowed down a bit. So we did some circling, stopping and backing up, all the basics. Then I loped him a few laps, he went really collected tonight. So I spent the majority of our ride warming up fully and doing a lot of basic skills. Then i walked him out for a bit after working on his lope. I first worked on barrels again, making him really finish the turns. Working one barrel at a time. Worked on getting rate and really sitting down with his hind to get a full turn. I also worked on our saftey circle. Because a lot of the shows we go to you have to do one. So we just did that a little bit. Then I moved on to poles, just went through it twice. Then I trotted over a very low jump once or twice. Walked him out and called it a day.

10. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

I somehow doubt that he was REALLY collected