Explosive Horse

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Nitro17, May 15, 2017.

1. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

Here is what I will tell you, and it may not be the norm.

Ignore it and carry on.

When I first got on Max, he was the "pony that couldn't be ridden". Literally a throw-me-on-and-send-me-off type deal. He took off at a manic gallop and had the smarts to brace himself against reins and aids to throw his rider. He spooked at anything, anytime. I learned patience, to get off him and lead him through things he was scared of and push him through the rest. But I knew I could ride through and it was never a safety issue for me.

He wasn't the pony that couldn't be ridden. He was the pony that nobody wanted to spend time on.

I stayed on, I urged him forward. I carried on.

This little pony has become beginner safe simply because I sat on him, said, "whatever, you do you until you get where you need to be."

All that to say, sometimes it takes time. And patience. And the ability to stick through it. Perfect horses do not come to you perfect. Teach your horse and let him teach you. Time will tell you if it pays off.

BCmom and zomer like this.
  2. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member

That all makes perfect sense, IF the root cause is not something else, like saddle fit or wolf teeth or whatever else.

BCmom and Faster Horses like this.
  3. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Well I would never use a tie down or a standing martingale, so we are different In our theory She said the horse was vet checked and the vet found no health issues. I also would not want some one to use a German martingale on a permanent basis but, for a horse that has been rearing they are a good training tool as as soon as the horse tries to raise their head, pressure is applied to the poll, and when the horse relaxes the pressure is imeadiatly released...this can teach a horse that is is much more comfortable to not go up.

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

No tieing of the head in any way fixes rearing.

Rearing is simply lack of forward. If the horse is confused or hurting, you don't tie his head to fix rearing, you fix what's hurting or confusing him.

If the horse rears because he learned it works to get an annoying rider to get off and quit bothering him, and there's absolutely no pain issue, you simply drive the horse forward Before he rears. Catch the pause.

NO GADGET cures it.Period, end of story.

5. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

You are correct the German allows you to apply a great deal of pressure to the poll. The preassure is applied when the horse raises its head, and released when the horse lowers its head. All of the kids I have taught over the years a running martingale until they have good hands and know where to hold them....because the number one reason I see a horse rear is because it's rider gets their hands to high, especially when they panic. With a martingale if the rider pulls up the horses head still gets pulled down. With a horse that has already learned to rear to evade the extra preassure from the German can provide an Imeadiate correction, and prevent e horse from going over backwards.

6. CowCatcher

CowCatcher Senior Member

Ive seen a horse flop itself over in a martingale, standing, running, german and a tie down. It won't prevent a horse that truly rears or flips.

Given the statements made by the OP, I'm guessing a forward/ hotter horse and her hanging on the bridle causing the rearing purely due to inexperience and by this point some fear of a repeat occurrence. She needs to learn on how to get by these kind if she plans to ride them. Not hanging on both reins, learn to use one rein at a time and keep the horse mentally engaged rather than trying to tire him out.

BCmom, Curly_Horse_CMT, Arem and 5 others like this.
  7. .Delete.

.Delete. Senior Member

If i have a horse that feels like it's going to pop up and i have any sort of training aide on...I immediately take it off. Training aids can escalate the situation and they give you less control, way more dangerous.

8. Nitro17

Nitro17 Senior Member

He hasn't even been started on the pattern yet. Just flatting right now. And we thought it might be pain so we are having a farrier come and and are searching for a chiro

9. Nitro17

Nitro17 Senior Member

Thank you. I will post pictures of the saddle tomorrow

10. Nitro17

Nitro17 Senior Member

Yes he is a hotter horse so i am constantly thinking to keep off his face. That's like one of my biggest pet peeves. But i could always work on it more and try to use more leg. Thank you for your comment