Explosive Horse

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Nitro17, May 15, 2017.

1. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

That's basically draw reins minus the easy length adaption you have with draw reins.

Totally idiotic suggestion.

2. Blue-Roan

Blue-Roan Senior Member

Also, what I find worrisome is that the former owner used lack of trust as an excuse for the horse's incredibly dangerous behaviour. 'He just doesn't know you well enough!' is not an excuse. Rearing is dangerous and he could easily hurt or kill someone if he carries on. If she said to just longe him and gain his trust in response, that's a little concerning.

If someone told me that a horse I sold them was rearing and exploding like that, I sure as hell wouldn't be telling them to 'get to know he horse better'.

Poor saddle fit is likely, and/or tooth problems, poor choice of bit, rider error, training issues and possibly ulcers.

3. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Did you notice that I prefaced it with...
    Horses that rear are very dangerous, its deal breaker for many trainers and often these horses are euthanized if the habit can not be stopped. You need to be extremely careful. If you are determined to continue riding this horse Make sure that all of your tack fits correctly.

Huckleberry777 likes this.
  4. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

That may be your opinion it is not mine, no the option of most of the trainers I Know. A German martingale is much easier to use than a draw rein and can be very useful in preventing a horse with a habit of rearing from going up...... Just because you personally do not like martingales running or German does not mean that they are not a very valuable training tool for others.

Huckleberry777, mkoktavy and NBChoice like this.
  5. AmyK

AmyK Senior Member

I did.... based on the OP's posts, I suspect she'd not be able to adjust or use a German properly. I think suggesting it to someone who will just slap it on with nobody to teach them how it works isn't the greatest idea. Considering the leverage it adds, if the horse rears and she balances on the reins or snatches them up, I think that's a great way to pull that horse over the top of her.

6. AmyK

AmyK Senior Member

And btw I'm not anti-German martingale, I have one that I use from time to time, I was taught though to be very cautious in using them (any gadget or increased pressure/leverage, for that matter) and that one needs to be shown how any tool like that works before just putting it on.

7. meljean

meljean Senior Member

Seriously, this all sounds like a "my little pony" fantasy. We've seen this before, will see it again. Thinking we are seeing it now.

New member, posts all sorts of problems with a 'well trained horse' that only she can get near.

Waiting for the "you don't know ME or my HORSE" flounce and out.

Doubt there even in a horse in this equation.

8. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member

Sure, its not bad as a tool, but it has a very limited use. You don't slap it on a horse indefinitely, and you don't use it as a band aid if you haven't made 1000% sure that a horse isn't rearing from pain.

I might use a tie down on a horse that had been allowed to rear, or been rearing from pain for so long that it became habit. So, a horse that had been done that way for months and months or years. Even still, I wouldn't need it for more than a few weeks. And I certainly wouldn't use it until I was being a shadow of a doubt that the causing factor was fixed. That's like popping painkillers so you can keep walking around on a broken leg. Fix the leg and you won't need em anymore.

D_BaldStockings likes this.
  9. CowCatcher

CowCatcher Senior Member

I am in the over horsed camp on this one.

Sounds like a horse with a big motor and a new rider who doesn't know how to get by him. I really encourage the OP to find someone to help her.When I mean someone I don't mean the neighbor who claims to be a "cowboy" or the Craigslist trainer with the pictures of her standing on a skinny horse sporting the Double T barrel saddle.

Huckleberry777, Arem, Sam C. and 4 others like this.
  10. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Would not shock me one little bit.