Explosive Horse

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Nitro17, May 15, 2017.

1. cowgirl-tuff

cowgirl-tuff Senior Member

Seriously ya'll. Slow your roles. Yes this is an internet board and YES your entitled to your opinion but come the heck on. Common RESPECT goes a very, very long way. There is absolutely no need to belittle someone who asked a question. OP there is nothing wrong with your question, ask away. Responses like this encourage people not to ask questions here. Your right, it could be a hundred other things from saddle fit to holes in training. But the former owner could be a liar too for all we know who unloaded a problem horse onto the OP. Stop jumping to conclusions and pointing fingers. Sorry OP I am not aware of your current rider status but that's because I don't live on this board nor do I care to. I'm not going to run to search and read everything you've ever posted because even if I did that won't change your course of action. It does sound like you did some questioning when seeking this horse out, and having a vet come out was a good starter item to check off the list. I am sorry for the rudeness that seems to hang over this board now-a-days. And your obviously realizing you have a situation you need to handle here, my advice of an outside trainer remains. Keep us updated, with seeking out some experienced horse trainers and ruling out some common issues like saddle fit, your sure to sort it out.

AllyMae, BCmom, C4Roan and 9 others like this.
  2. Nitro17

Nitro17 Senior Member

Thank you so much

BCmom likes this.
  3. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member

What bits are you using? Which ones did the previous owners use?

Take pictures of his hooves as well. This board is full of people who have had supposedly "good" farriers doing things to their horses feet and actually just mucking things up greatly.

Sorry for the rudeness as well, it'll go away in time if you are actually here for advice and to learn this time. Investigate everything, don't pick and choose what you want to hear, because that's what earned you the harsh comments in the first place.

BCmom, Huckleberry777 and Sam C. like this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

yeah let's just slow our roles and let this girl have this horse go over ontop of her. brill idea.

JKetsche, Arem, Binca and 2 others like this.
  5. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

The board does not really change much you know, there is still a wide range of opinions, given by a wide range of people, some wrapped in sugar, some given bluntly. As ever the hope is something will get through to the OP.

You say you have not read any other threads, well that means you are lacking back ground and history, there is usually a reason why people are treated as they are. Apologizing for others? Why would you do that, so many posters reap what they sow.

Huckleberry777, Arem, ginster and 3 others like this.
  6. AmyK

AmyK Senior Member

You need a trainer. Every time you ride this horse you're making the bad habits worse. It's nothing to be ashamed of, you're just in over your head. Gotta say, I don't buy that you're the only one who can handle him, but even if that were the case, a trainer can sort that out real quick too.

7. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Horses that rear are very dangerous, its deal breaker for many trainers and often these horses are euthanized if the habit can not be stopped. You need to be extremely careful. If you are determined to continue riding this horse Make sure that all of your tack fits correctly. I personally would use a German Martingale on a horse like this.

This is a good link on dealing with a horse that rears and a video of the German Martingale in use.

Huckleberry777 likes this.
  8. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

* steps into thread with all my render safe equipment to dismantle the explosive horse. *

* realizes horse is not literally explosive and my expertise is not needed here :cry: *

maddielj97, JKetsche, C4Roan and 33 others like this.
  9. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

We appreciate your service. :tiphat:

JKetsche, BossMare16, Arem and 9 others like this.
  10. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I agree with everyone who has said this screams out about saddle fit. To me, this horse does not sound "explosive" - he sounds like a saint. He's in what to me seems like obvious pain but he's trying, even though no one is listening to his desperate communication that something is seriously wrong.

Stop riding this horse. Stop lunging the horse. Get a professional saddle fitter out and have the saddle thoroughly checked. Then ask your vet to either do chiropractic or refer you to a chiropractor. He will need an adjustment to repair the damage an ill-fitting saddle has caused.

Only when his issues have been resolved should he be ridden. At that point, a trainer or fully informed highly experienced rider should get on him in a safe enclosure and evaluate him.