Explosive Horse

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Nitro17, May 15, 2017.

1. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Yes, always assume pain as the first reason of acting out. My guess is something hurts, so he's literally screaming at you to change it.

From your saddle fitting thread, I suspect his saddle is too narrow. It'd be nice to see photos with the saddle on.

2. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

A horse can be drilled into perfect exercises/maneuvers and still having a totally screwed up basic training.

This horse may be able to do rollbacks, but what it needs is the proper basic training it never got. Unfortunately horses that were forced into maneuvers/exercises without correct basic training by a strong rider are tricky to correct.

Probably you are not up to that job. And because some of his behaviours are mortally dangerous, leave it to a knowledgeable professional.

3. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Most definitely.

JKetsche likes this.
  4. LeenieBean

LeenieBean Senior Member

check everything about saddle fit. My mare's go to is rearing. its never high or dangerous under saddle, and I've managed to mostly correct that problem, however the last time I lunged her with tack she lost her little mind and reared high in the air a few times when I asked her to lope in a particular direction. I took her saddle and pad off and reset them, My best bet, either the pad had creeped too far back and was annoying her rubbing on he hips or I had the rear cinch up a hole too tight. she didn't pull it again after an adjustment. Usually a rearing horse is telling you something. If its attitude its not generally quite as explosive. Could be his back, hocks, a problem in his hoof, his teeth, etc. But a horse who rears like that can kill someone. Hopefully you're wearing a helmet.​

5. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Unless OP already has a video of her roding the horse, I am thinking maybe it would be better if she didn't get one. This situation sounds dangerous.

6. cowgirl-tuff

cowgirl-tuff Senior Member

Nitro17, whenever I've come into a new or sticky situation I have not experienced with a horse before or have questions, I typically seek out a trainer in the area (do your research, don't just pick the first one you find on craigslist obviously) but perhaps someone well known in your area. They will often do 'training lessons'. Ask if they are willing to come to your place or if you need to haul in. If you are unsure what's causing the issue, sometimes a new perspective, with an educated eye is extremely helpful while being easy on the pocket. I have trainers in my area who are happy to come to my farm if I have a question about how a horse is going for around $85 an hour or so. I've seen it range from $35 to $125. This allows a trainer to watch you work the horse and they can give you some great insight as to what may be going on.

7. Nitro17

Nitro17 Senior Member

Ya, i was thinking about saddle fit so im checking it out

8. Nitro17

Nitro17 Senior Member

Ok, thank you. Will definitely start looking. Or i might call the previous owner and have her come back down

9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Nitro, you're freakin kiddin me, right?

Horses aren't stubborn, nor do they rear because they don't respect you, nor do they EVER need to be lunged 40 min. to get the “fresh“ out. You've read posts here before. You should know better than to type those things.

He rode fine for the people that had him, won't for you.
    What does that tell ya. This isn't a “respect“ thing; this is a rider who is not riding correctly, asking correctly, and listening to the horse.

You should know your saddle probably isn't fitting when a horse doesn't want to go into canter. The saddle is probably digging into him. He canters without a saddle and without you. So, logically, one or both of the two thing that were added to the horse, are the problem.

Read some threads in search. Your OP is so rife with illogical conclusions, it would take a book to sort them out. Most likely, it sounds like you have a horse that is way too much horse for you, you ride like a newbie, he's sensitive and you're ticking him the hail off.

Get the old owner to come show you how to ride him. They had no issues; the only thing that changed was the rider.

10. Nitro17

Nitro17 Senior Member

I was told by the owner to do the lounging because he's just getting back into things from a break. But thanks for your opinion and I will really be thinking about my riding