Explosive Horse

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Nitro17, May 15, 2017.

1. Nitro17

Nitro17 Senior Member

So my new horse is very nice, but very explosive. He's trained well, but stubborn and not always willing to do as i ask. He also tends to spook easily, which we are working on. The first time i rode him he was fine.When I first got him home, he would rear whenever i would try to mount so he obviously was missing respect for me and not entirely sure if he could trust me. I also called his owner and she said he'd never done this before and he probably didn't know or trust me enough. She told me to spend time lunging him. So I did, I spent a lot of time doing ground work with him. He was getting better as rides went on but always is slightly hesitant when i mount, and usually always 1 rear a ride.
    . So yesterday I lounged him for about 40 minutes get his spunk out and to focus on me. He was AMAZING! I brushed him, didn't even have to tie him, which is unusual for him. Tacked him up just fine. Lounged again because it was new saddle, wanted him to get used to it. Got on, he was a little hesitant but rode off fine. About 40 minutes into the ride, I asked for the lope. He went crazy, just out of the blue. He reared straight up! I fell off and hit my head on my stirrup on the way down. He reared 5 more times and almost tangled himself in the fencing. I caught him, walked him out to calm down. Then lounged him and called it a day. I know i Probally should've got back on, but for my own safety and possible head injury i didn't. I have no idea what is causing this dangerous habit and its interfering with our training schedule. He was supposed to be my barrel prospect. He just had a vet come out, no issues. He's barefoot right now, but getting shoes this week. Any ideas or suggestions ??

** Today I did some groundwork and longing he did great. I groomed him and turned him out. I think I may try again tomorrow

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    Spoopy_Doopy_Potato likes this.
  2. slc

slc Senior Member

You need serious help. Don't ride the horse.

3. Nitro17

Nitro17 Senior Member

Haha, ok. Its strange though, one minute he will be doing perfect rollbacks and small sliding stops and then he will freak

4. Sam C.

Sam C. Senior Member

If you have to lunge for 40+ minutes before getting on, it sounds like you're overhorsed.

Trust me. I've been there. Get help before you get hurt.

5. Nitro17

Nitro17 Senior Member

Thanks. I don't know where I would send him. Because I'm like the only person he lets near him.

6. slc

slc Senior Member

Ha ha ha nothing. This is no laughing matter.

What you're doing - longeing 40 min, riding 40 min, no supervision, no helmet, I bet(even if you never wear a helmet you wear one on a horse that rears) - and absolutely no clue about how to sense when a rear is about to take place and stop it, just getting off, the worst thing you could do, but I doubt you can prevent it or correct it yourself anyway. You need professional help from a really top notch trainer, before that horse kills you. This is a serious matter.

7. Blue-Roan

Blue-Roan Senior Member

He can't be as well-trained as you think if that's how he acts. Spooky, rearing, stubborn, unwilling to listen to you? Doesn't sound like good training to me. Lunging or groundwork won't fix it. I don't think it's about trust either. It's not an excuse for dangerous behaviour like that.

Get a really good trainer for the horse, who is also willing to work with you. Don't ride the horse until then. You could get seriously hurt if he throws you off again, or even worse, if he falls over backward on you. Yes, it could happen, especially if he's rearing that high and that often.

8. Whoa

Whoa Senior Member

Do you have a video of you handling and riding this (or any) horse. What bit are you using? No offense intended but it sounds like rider error to me.

9. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member

What tack are you using? Take pictures of the saddle cinched up, and the bridle. Take pictures of the hooves. Rule out pain from tack, or soreness somewhere. Then see where you are.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  10. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Post a video please, as comprehensive as you can. Get looking for a trainer who'll work with you both. Post your approximatel area if you need help/recommendations. Plus, include the schooling/riding you're interested in..western, dressage, jumping. I've no idea, but I didn't see that in your op or original post.

Nu5ha and meljean like this.