Explain kill pens to me

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by all4him, Sep 30, 2015.

1. FluffyThoroughbred

FluffyThoroughbred Full Member

Suspicious?? I didn’t do anything wrong. I’ll look at other things, I’m literally interested in a horse.

2. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

People call them kill pens for sure but that does not make it true. How many auctions have you been to? Not breed sales or "special sales" but honest to goodness livestock auctions? The people that attend these auctions, including horse traders that, in the last 10 years or so have been dubbed "kill buyers", are mostly good folks just trying to make a living. They are not animal abusers and do not enjoy the suffering of animals or small children.

20 years ago a person would have been laughed out of town for viewing sale barns and feed lots as evil places where animals go to die a long and painful death. Folks are sure going to be upset when they can no longer afford to buy meat because the industry has become so regulated that only the rich can afford to buy the all natural, pasture fed, cage free, antibiotic free, organic meat from animals that died a natural death produced in an over regulated industry. McDonalds will become a high priced, members only eatery. No more dollar menu.

I guarantee, would bet my substantial paycheck, more animals die those long and painful deaths in people's backyards than in a sale barn pen or a feed lot.

3. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Yup, easy way to make money taking that bet..

4. FluffyThoroughbred

I meant an auction. As in, like Keeneland. Ohhhhhhh. Sorry about that!!

5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Amen to this a thousand times.

equinitis likes this.
  6. FluffyThoroughbred

I once went to a Keeneland thing, I thought so because they called it a “sale barn.”

7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Eh, don't jump on Fluffy. She's 15, she has no life experience to speak of yet. She is just talking from her heart, reading the OP and, obviously didn't read all the educational replies posted in the thread before replying herself.

She'll catch on eventually.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Vintage Crop Of Yearlings, Dynamic Market Drive...

Gross sales of $377 million fourth-highest in September Sale history Keeneland’s September Yearling Sale concluded Sunday with commerce described as “electric”

September 23, 2018

No Kill pens there for darn sure!!! The cream of the crop in TB racing for the most part. Nothing evil about this sale for sure unless you think racing is evil.

If your introduction to TBs was at a Keeneland sale, no wonder you fell in love. I bet you did not see any fluffy ones though. lol

9. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Agree with Equinitis here.....most average auctions, are people who bring a horse to sell and folks looking for a horse cheap. Some of the meat guys go to them, but they won't spend a ton of money on a horse to go to slaughter....it cuts into their profits. So the whole "kill pen" thing was set up by buyers that would make MUCH more money by saying the horse is "going to slaughter so buy it quick!", than actually selling horses for meat. While I never would send a horse to slaughter, it sure does beat letting one starve in your backyard like SO many people do. And the KB's aren't buying these ones.....because there is no meat on them!