Explain kill pens to me

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by all4him, Sep 30, 2015.

1. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Horses are livestock.
    They are not pets.

You don't bring them inthe house and “pet“ them.
    You keep them in open or enclosed outdoor areas just like you do cows, sheep, goats, pigs, etc. You don't own them as companions, household “pets“, you own them to ride or drive.

If you choose to do nothing but pet them, they are still not pets. You CAN pet cows and goats, etc, but they are not meant to be, nor do they make very good pets.

Never advocate for horses to be classified as pets; PETS and products meant for pets are TAXABLE. That's how the government makes more money, buy taxing pet supplies.

You own a horse, you own livestock. Period.

CoffeeBean, Alsosusieq2 and shaiarabs like this.
  2. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

This made me lol. I have seen some working cats on TV. They were doing all sorts of crazy tricks and such but, I agree, they are in the minority. My cats work, I have no rodents living under/in my home and none in my feed or hay. I pay them handsomely and likely have the best fed barn cats in the county. Rodents are only eaten when the momma is teaching kittens how to hunt as they get more than enough to eat and prefer cat food to rodents! Bugs and snakes are a whole other story, they eat those and all I find is bug legs and snake heads.

secuono and Arem like this.
  3. FluffyThoroughbred

FluffyThoroughbred Full Member

4. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

What is so sad?

manesntails likes this.
  5. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Alexa, play Despacito.

foxtrot, ginster, shaiarabs and 3 others like this.
  6. FluffyThoroughbred

That horses pass away in kill pens. Or pass away period. And that the places of rescued horses are filled by other horses.

7. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Ya, it's sad some go to kill pens....but if us humans smartened up and became responsible....the kill pen count would be smaller.

Dream27 likes this.
  8. FluffyThoroughbred

9. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Well everything passes eventually. Until there is a balance between production of horses and the number of homes available, until there is a well regulated and freely available method of disposing of the unwanted, kill pens will exist.

Think on this as well, if I have the space and ability to keep one horse properly, should I rescue, or buy privately? Think on the consequences if I buy the rescue, then the private horse might end up in its place.

mymarespet, manesntails and JStorry like this.
  10. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

GAH! There is no such thing as a "kill pen". We are being manipulated by bleeding hearts who think equines are the same as canines and/or buy clever traders that know they can make more money if poor little Pookey (Who has runaway with 10 people, bucked 5 off, kicked 7 and bit 12 in the last three months.) is going to be slaughtered in 15 minutes if he is not rescued.

I have seen thousands of thoughtfully bred, well cared for animals sold/bought by the pound in my life. Most of them were not slaughtered and this was when there was a slaughter facility about 40 miles form the sale barn and equine slaughter was not regulated. There will always be unwanted animals, ALWAYS. There needs to be a way for folks to dispose of those unwanted animals. A way that is humane for the animal and does not subject the owner to humiliation, ridicule and the judgement of disconnected and ignorant folks who think they know equine husbandry. Those ignorant folks are the ones we let tell us equines should not be slaughtered, the folks that have never even touched an equine but watched Fury, Flicka and The Black Stallion 47 times as a teen ager and think they know.

You want to buy an equine and dedicate the rest of your life to caring for it the rest of it's life? Go ahead, not that you need my permission. I am not in the group that thinks it is damaging to an equine for it to change hands several times in it's life. If it's physical and emotional needs are met, they adjust very well to changes if we let them. They are incredibly adaptable and incredibly forgiving and incredibly trainable. I've never seen one that crashed and burned simply because it got a new home. I have not seen that in 50 years of involvement in equines.

I am so lucky I can just shoot the ones I need to and don't have to worry about telling the world I don't want this animal any more by hauling it to a sale barn. I cannot believe how much of an evil place the sale barn has been made to be. Cannot believe it.

It is sad when any animal dies. I am sad when I have to shoot one no matter the reason. I am sad when I kill anything for any reason and do not take it lightly. Being sad about it does not mean it was not the right thing to do or make it evil somehow.