Explain kill pens to me

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by all4him, Sep 30, 2015.

1. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Yeah, but they're not working FOR you. They're doing it because they like to. And yeah, herding dogs love to herd, and hunting dogs love to hunt, etc., but dogs by their very nature are always trying to please you, even when they're doing what they love to do. They wiggle out of their skin if they make you happy.

But cats? Find some way to tell a barn cat that he's doing you a favor by killing rodents, and I guarantee he'll stop killing rodents. :ROFLMAO:

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

What the hell~!!

Like YOU are so superior that your animals get a death sentence because (ONLY YOU...reminds me of Trump~!!) Can take proper care of them?

How fricken selfish~!!

Sorry, that's my opinion of those who would kill an animal because of an overly inflated ego.

3. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I agree. Far better to be a responsible horse owner and make sure your horses are well trained good citizens who can be rehomed with good prospects.

4. Arem

Arem Senior Member

#hoarder

Puddincup, manesntails and mooselady like this.
  5. ginster

ginster Senior Member

"....to another lesser being..."
    Yikes.

Puddincup and manesntails like this.
  6. apndi

apndi Senior Member

LOL this is wild

7. sherian

sherian Senior Member

wow - I have one horse who hubby is under instructions that he can keep him as a lawn ornament or euthanise due his behavioural issues under tack making him potentially dangerous but I have no issues with the rest of them being sold on - I am not so arrogant as to think that I am the only person who can look after a horse properly.

8. Arem

Arem Senior Member

That’s why I say hoarder. They usually have that kind of mentality. This would also explain why the poster wishes that horse keeping wasn’t governed by agriculture. So they could cram more into whatever unsuitable space they have.

Puddincup and manesntails like this.
  9. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

You're going to have all your horses out down if you pass away? Maybe they're all aged, but if they're not, this doesn't make sense to me. Huh..

10. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

Wow.
    Let me tell you something. The past week for me has been all about dealing with other people's inflated egos surrounding proper care for an equine. If you are under the impression that your horses all need to be euthanized following your death then you are doing those horses a huge disservice. Huge.
    I love my horses. I never bring one home unless I can provide for them until the day I put them in the ground. But you can't plan for everything and nothing saves a horse' life more than if he is properly and kindly trained and can succeed on his own regardless of who is at the other end of the line.

On another note. I think people get charged up by the word "livestock" because it kind of drains the animal of any sentient value. Cows. Sheep. Goats. All animals we don't rarely get bonded to (I don't know about you guys but I got really attached to cows and one time a duck). As soon as human emotion shows up on stage, we suddenly think we need to redefine the terminology. I'll admit, sometimes I cringe when I hear people refer to horses as livestock. But I examine the person's intention behind the phrase. Not so much the word. Seems like everything we say these days is offensive in some way shape or form...

sherian and Alsosusieq2 like this.