Explain kill pens to me

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by all4him, Sep 30, 2015.

1. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I agree that horses are livestock.

The definition of livestock is "farm animals regarded as an asset." (Google dictionary) Also "Animals kept or raised for use or pleasure." (Merriam-Webster) The Cambridge Dictionary defines livestock as "Animals kept on a farm."

"Livestock" doesn't necessarily mean that the animal has an agricultural purpose. I would argue that all of us consider our horses as an asset in ways that we don't consider our dogs or cats. Horses have economic value, which increases with training and/or show success. That's true of all horses in a way that is not so with all dogs or cats (pedigreed breeding or show dogs/cats do have economic value but the majority of pets don't).

As livestock, they are subject to different regulation in some areas, such as where they can be kept, how their waste is disposed of, where it can be disposed of, etc. That makes sense.

2. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

@Daphney Dotson. I'm not really sure where you were going with your post when you quoted me but it seems you were not agreeing with me?

I stand by my assessment of the terms kill pen and meat buyer. Those terms were coined strictly to tug heart strings, period end of story. The correct terms are holding pen and trader. I have never met a trader that bought equines strictly for slaughter as there has not been any real money in equine slaughter in a long time.

I am tired of new coined terms and words that are deemed politically correct to avoid offending someone's delicate sensibilities. Poo. We are not talking about racial slurs here but about real life and real lives. Slaughter is the logical end for livestock and the continued use of the animal is the greatest tribute one can give it. Equines, cattle, pigs, goats, sheep, chickens, etc. are all livestock and are eaten by a large segment of human kind all over the globe. Describing them as pets will not change that.

Equines are livestock and I will fight to the bitter end to keep them from being legally classified as pets. I feel strongly that would be the beginning of the end for a declining equine industry and would put my place in line for dissolution as I could never house my 40 head as pets. I have a couple that would happily come in the house and lay around but I doubt they would find the carpet to their satisfaction for forage. ;)

3. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

"

Agree...horses in the US have always been considered "farm animals"...BECAUSE they were used on farms and part of the farming process. There are many laws and definitions from when "time began" in the US which some people think should change, and this is probably one of them, the classification of what a horse is....livestock or a pet

Horses are still livestock to me, and not a pet. The fact that I enjoy and ride my horses does not negate the fact, that they are still livestock, farm animals and part of agriculture. This is one of those archaic rules/laws etc from the past that I hope does not change.

As for kill pens....boy, they have a pretty smooth money making business going. These horses are not going to the slaughter house...they are being "put up on bail" by a part of the horse industry that preys on bleeding hearts. Quite the racket these people have going.....

CoffeeBean, Arem and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Where we are horses are classified as pets, means that you can’t apply for agricultural loans, to build a covered arena for instance, as they are not livestock. I’m to lazy to go and dig out aall the info, but I know it’s making the introduction of Coggins testing harder, the ministry can’t legislate pets the same as livestock.

CoffeeBean and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  5. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

To me, a big difference between livestock and pets is that livestock is used for something other than companionship. The great majority of horses are used for riding or breeding or showing or driving. While some dogs are working dogs, they are still used as companions as well. Horses not so much. And I have yet to see a working cat. :rolleyes:

It makes no sense to me to classify horses as pets.

CoffeeBean, GotaDunQH and JStorry like this.
  6. sherian

sherian Senior Member

barn cats work for a living on rodent patrol, just saying

equinitis and mooselady like this.
  7. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Not the barn cats at the last barn I boarded at. :rofl: You could HEAR the mice scurrying around. But the cats didn’t care. Not a single mouser in the lot. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    NaeNae and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Kitty bums lol.

CoffeeBean likes this.
  9. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I'm glad other countries raise them for meat. They are actually delicious and healthy. I am glad I can go to Canada and order a horse steak off the menu at my favorite little French restaurant. I think it's ridiculous that anyone would push for horses to be pets. I also think it's ridiculous to not be able to buy it at your local meat market, as well as not having any plants that can legally render horses in the US. It's all crazy to me, but whatever :rolleyes:

10. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

So is there no demand by people coming from countries where horse is traditionally eaten?

So you could raise, slaughter and sell exotics like lamas, ostriches or alligators for the meat market, but you are not allowed to do that with horses?