Featured Expired penicillin

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Moostang, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Moostang

Moostang Senior Member+

Does expired penicillin just get weaker, or is it one of those meds that possibly become toxic?
    We have a bottle that expired in late 06, I just hate to throw it away because it has a lot left in it. I would like to just keep it for emergencies rather than going out and buying another bottle.

2. philly78

philly78 Senior Member+

As long as you have kept it as the label says to keep it, it will last forever, we have bottles at the clinic that have been out dated since 04 that we still use, not on clients animals but our own or on animals that have owners that can afford to buy their own medicine, we can use it we just cant sell it since it has passed its shelf live!

3. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

I was wondering the same thing myself as I have a bottle in the fridge that has had 2 doses taken out of it but expired a couple of years ago. Just can't bring myself to throw it away.

4. Moostang

Moostang Senior Member+

So does it just become weaker then? Or possibly stronger?

5. Thrills

Thrills Senior Member+

I'm not sure, I'll ask my dad(a vet) if I get a chance. He's always giving me expired meds (free) including penicillin and says they are fine if I store them as per the label.

6. BettyBootsy

BettyBootsy Banned

I asked my vet a while back and he said as long as it has been kept right not to worry use it up. He also told me the same on a expired bottle of banamine.

7. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

Working at one clinic, we used "expired" penn for a while.

Beyond 1 year AFTER it's expiration date.

However, if it has been open for some time....careful

Many of the penn reactions I've seen and had came from too long opened penn.

Basically we put a date on it that we opened/punctured the top. And went 4-6 months from that point.

regardless of the expiration date. (and what I've heard lately)

8. 4hooves4me2

4hooves4me2 Senior Member+

A good friend of mine works at Pfizer here in Terre Haute-she said that the Penn stays good as long as it has been strictly refridgerated-not left on counters, to get warm or whatever then re-refridgerated. Always draw with a clean needle too she said to keep contaminates out.

She said it can get weaker with age, but that is not a general problem. If it has been handled correctly it isn't a concern.

9. Moostang

Moostang Senior Member+

Thats great! Although since I was at the feed store today I did pick up another small bottle for just in case, but we will use that other bottle first. Ti always been stored in our fridge, only out for shots at which time it is stored in an ice chest for transport.