1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Exercises to build confidence under saddle?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by noreins, Apr 19, 2017 at 6:30 AM.

1. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

slc: says something nice and understanding??? what???

slc: clarifies that she didn't mean for it to be all that nice

slc you make my days complete

2. apndi

apndi Senior Member

ok so I'm not the only one that's slightly confused by that?

mooselady and RelaxMax like this.
  3. slc

slc Senior Member

That is absolutely awesome.

apndi likes this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

It has nothing to do with me being nice or not nice. It's all about striking a balance. Understanding it, but not giving into it.

You don't get what I mean or what I've seen. I've seen people destroyed by it. It's no game.

RelaxMax likes this.
  5. noreins

noreins Senior Member

I just wanted to pop in and say thank you again for all the advice! I had the best ride on him that I've had in months! It wasn't much but it was a huge win for me. No panic attack, not even any real nervousness and I was even away from home.

Sam C., foxtrot, Macimage and 4 others like this.
  6. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

:cooldance: That is fantastic, so happy for you.

Just a reminder, the whole thing is like a game of snakes and ladders, today you landed on a ladder, and took a race up the board, WHOOT. Just remember that the next roll COULD, just maybe hit a snake, but just keep rolling and you will land on another ladder, promise.

7. noreins

noreins Senior Member

I hit a small snake just the other day so I needed this boost haha. It's hard sometimes to keep things in perspective. Any little set back usually really gets me down but I'm working on that. I'm glad I decided to venture back to this forum after such a long hiatus. :D

mooselady likes this.
  8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I didn't have problems with anxiety till I was almost forty going through a vicious divorce. Full blown panic attacks. So yeah, I know the difference between rational fear and anxiety. I got lucky and after years of no help therapy and xanax they stopped. I almost died a few years ago and for some reason coming to terms with that stopped them dead in their tracks. I always had been a no nonsense person and before, I'd have never understood anxiety.

I don't know what to tell you though. Mine were social anxiety and never bled over into horses. Perhaps you might wait till you can take med again.. Idk. Get a horse you want to ride and take lessons. Do what you want.

Learn breathing lessons, that helps a lot as being anxious we hold our breath and it makes it worse. I wish you the very best.

9. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

If this manifested while you were pregnant it's very understandable and actually logical. You need to see a therapist. A good one will help. If it did, even you know why it happened internally and you can get it turned around I think pretty easy. Good luck.

10. noreins

noreins Senior Member

I've suffered from anxiety for most of my life, from a very very young age. But it never bled over into my horse life until my daughter was born. I had miserable postpartum anxiety and should have reached out but I was TERRIFIED they would take my baby from me. Eventually it eased up. I really wish I could afford therapy. I need to try to see what my insurance might cover I guess.

I've been nervous on a horse before, especially after a wreck or something, but I've never been so sure I was going to meet my demise. On a horse who has a tendency to fall asleep if we stay in one spot for too long. :faint: I've come a long way though so I'm focusing on that.