Exercises a for weak hind end

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by BipolarHonor, May 3, 2018.

1. BipolarHonor

BipolarHonor Senior Member

Gelding needs to learn to use his hind end and get off his front end. He gets super heavy in the front especially at the canter and falls on his face. Things I can do from the ground and saddle to help him..

2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Lots of transitions and pole work.
    How is the terrain where you living? Any hills you can use to work the horse?

3. BipolarHonor

Our big field is all kinds of hills. Big Steep hills and some smaller ones. The mares all get turned out in that field and are looking good building muscle just from playing on the hills. I thought about turning him out there when they arnt out but wasnt sure if there is anything I can do with training also

4. slc

slc Senior Member

I'd have to see what's going on. It might be that your reins are too long, or you're not using your leg enough to get him up in front, or he has some unsoundness issue, or there's something about your position that's pushing his front end down. It also could be that he's just very green and not yet schooled enough to balance.

If it's a matter of training I start working on large circles and leg yield in each direction to start getting him more supple and in better fitness. Cantering, spiraling in and out at canter, simple things for a green horse.

5. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

My concern is that something is amiss. If he’s truly falling on his face in a canter, then you need to look at more than just training. Feet can be an issue as well.

Outside of that, there’s no magical *thing* that makes horses learn to engage their hind end. It’s correct work from the moment you swing a leg over. I don’t ride any hills, very very few poles, jumps, or anything else, and all my horses have zero issues using their hind ends.

LoveTrail likes this.
  6. BipolarHonor

He recently retired from the track. Never made a start. Never got past a 3/8 work. He struggled with being heavy on the front at the track too which im sure played a part in his being slow. He isnt too bad at the trot it's more the canter. He rubs his back ankles too. Not just hits occasionally he was actually leaving rub marks at the track by the time he got to me he has big ankles and I had to send him in polos every day and worked on getting his ankles looking better. The marks are pretty much healed now. I'm going to get a chiropractor to check him out and make sure we arnt missing anything in that area.

7. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Can you post confo pics and / or a video of him moving?

8. BipolarHonor

Excuse the injured knee he hit the fence the other day. Needless to say I'm replacing that fence sooner than planned cause I'm not waiting til we have a worse injury

20180504_130001.jpg
    20180504_130010.jpg
    Back feet square
    20180504_130503.jpg
    Back feet how he normally likes them but usually he has one resting
    20180504_130546.jpg

9. BipolarHonor

Right now I have him in a snaffle but he needs to learn to soften and listen. He may not have been much of a racehorse but he knows how to grab the bit when he doesnt want to do something :rolleyez:

10. BipolarHonor

Sorry it's dark my friend took it and I didn't realize she was or i would've had her on the other side of me. I have another I took that I'll load after this one. this was taken a couple days after we started doing some trot work on the lunge line and wearing his BOT blanket again.