excessive urinating

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Zanerkin177, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Zanerkin177

Zanerkin177 Senior Member

my 3yr gelding has been urinating a lot lately and I am wounding if this is a sign of his sheath needing cleaning or something else? or nothing at all? :confused:

2. Zanerkin177

bump

too short

3. MissBandit

MissBandit Senior Member+

The only things that immediately come to mind are, the temperature. Is it very hot where your horse lives and is drinking more. Or, cushings disease. But obviously there would be other symptoms in that case. Is your horse an easy keeper? Have a cresty neck?

4. Auzzie Honey

Auzzie Honey Senior Member+

Some horses just pee a lot ... however, take a look at him. Without being rude about it - watch when he urinates. Does he urinate a good normal amount? Or just little bits? Is he struggling?
    Also, if you can, watch his water intake. Is the weather hot where you are, or cool? How much is a lot of urination?
    What colour is it - strong yellow, pale, clear, strong smell, no smell ..
    It's not a nice job, but it's a good idea to know :p

Then look what he is fed. Is his feed soaking wet when you feed him? Is there an excessive (or no) electros/vits/mins?

:)

5. Auzzie Honey

Auzzie Honey Senior Member+

Forgot to add, is he producing normal amounts of manure? Or excessive? Or too little?

6. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

Good question. Diet is also a good question.

7. tazassape

tazassape Full Member

Is the horse stalled, pastured, have unrestricted access to salt/water? Some details would help.

8. Zanerkin177

it gets pretty hot here, upper 90's to 105. what are other symptoms of cushings disease? he is an easy keeper. no cesty neck more on the ewe side actually. he pees normal amounts, but when I was fixing the fence yesterday (about 15-20 minute job) he peed about 3 times. normal smell. it's clear-ish yellow. he gets 1 flake of alfalfa in the morning and one at night, and he hasn't been worked in about 3 weeks. he seems to be pooping like she should, maybe a little behind then my other two. he is out on pasture 24/7