Ever had a horse you just don’t ... jive with ?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by 250girl, Dec 30, 2018.

1. 250girl

250girl Senior Member

Ok, I know the whole magical “bonding” with your steed is 99.9% myth. But I think there’s .01% truth to that stuff.

Ever had a horse you just don’t click with? Not like a training issue , just plain personality clash ?
    I’ve got one. Everyone says I look great on her, that she goes better under me than anyone else I’ve put on her . I showed her in her first show over fences ( her first show ever actually ) and placed in every class. She didn’t put a hair out of line.
    I seriously despise the horse. And have it on good authority the feeling is mutual. Really don’t look forward to going to the barn and dealing with her. There’s no scratches or cuddles or treats . She isn’t game for it either. We just don’t like each other.
    It’s not a partnership , more like a business transaction.

Can’t put my finger on it . We work out our grumpy female issues and get shtuff done. I like her build and movement well enough. But something’s missing .
    Of course the reason I haven’t resold her is that her temperament isn’t ..... isn’t exactly a shining example of what I like to proudly advertise with my name on it . So a less marketable horse like her is what I’ll usually keep back for myself . I sell the really good ones lol.

Anyone else have this ? Or am I just losing my marbles ?

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Nope, it's real, or it is with me. In my opinion it's best to move them on as soon as you can though. It stinks to not really enjoy yourself and get "stuck" with them. It rarely happens, but yeah. Life's too short.

3. JinxedDream

JinxedDream Senior Member

It's real to me. I've had 2 like that. I think I would actively market her. Life's too short to own a horse you don't like. I did keep both for a year before finding new homes. For me it's a relief.

magoo320mj, kodemiester, Arem and 2 others like this.
  4. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

Horses have personalities and different ways of connecting with people. Of course you can have a horse you don't jive with. You can either move on to a different horse or try out different ways to connect with this horse. I've known a lot of "business" horses that don't ever really lose that mentality but can become much more softer and engaged on the ground with time (time spent doing other things other than riding). But most people don't have that time and it's easier to find a different horse. Good luck either way!

5. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Yeah. I've had that twice now. Once with a horse I owned who I no longer have. And I still deal with it with my mom's mare. She and I do not click. We get along well enough for me to be around her and do my daily tasks, but I don't want to be around her for too long. She is way different with my mom than with me and you can tell she genuinely likes getting scratches from my mom.

Arem likes this.
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

There is no such thing.

You either have the knowledge, feel, and experience to read that horse and work with him at the level he presently needs, or you do not.

There is no Jive, no Bond, no familiarity with the horse needed; you either have the tools to work with, or you do not have them yet. It is not the horse cooperating with you, it is you reading the horse and being the trainer he needs at that moment in his life, nothing more, nothing less.

BluemoonOKy likes this.
  7. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

So you don't believe that a human and a horse can just not like each other? Not talking about working the horse or training or any of that stuff you're talking about.

8. manesntails

Horses know when you don't like them.

Schmooze her into looking forward to seeing you. If you don't put in the effort to allow her to just be with you and do for her what she needs done to start liking you, she will keep on seeing you as an inconvenience. Be the light in her day.

mygirl1197 likes this.
  9. manesntails

Nope. That's the TRAINER'S Job to do what the horse needs to feel comfortable with them. Figure the horse out, in other words.

10. slc

slc Senior Member

It happens.

But with some cases, it isn't about 'clicking' at all. It's about training or the stage of training the horse or rider is at.

So for example, a rider is not advanced enough to control her body adequately for a more sensitive or more advanced training horse, so her legs and hands are moving a lot, and that upsets the sensitive horse. So the sensitive horse is always 'mad' (pinning ears, swishing tail) when that rider is on him.

A horse was never trained to steer properly, so he 'argues' with the rider who doesn't forcefully make him turn.

Or the horse 'doesn't click' with the person who doesn't understand how that horse is trained.

One gal I rode with 'didn't click' with one horse after the other. She didn't ride with her legs. So the horses would all eventually 'get nappy.' She didn't ride with her outside rein, and the horses she bought would 'run through the outside rein.' She couldn't understand why she 'didn't click' with one horse after another. The horses would 'go around' for a couple months, but they then would all start rearing by the gate. She just never seemed to 'get' this thing of riding with her legs, and using her outside rein. So one horse after the other, she 'didn't click with.'

Most people, if they are willing to work really hard and get lessons, can 'step up' to a more advanced or complicated horse. But some can't. Especially if they won't get lessons where someone can point out what they're doing wrong.

A professional, of course, can't 'afford' to not click with many horses. He has to figure it out.

manesntails likes this.