Eventing season

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by Winchester, Feb 14, 2017.

1. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

PM me your email addresses and I'll send it out

2. Winchester

Winchester Senior Member

Well we ran into a few speed bumps this summer which altered our event plans pretty drastically.

I had decided to compete in the Sept 1-3 horse trial, however Vesper came up with mystery lameness issues more than once which set us back aggressively as far at fitness goes. By the time we managed to diagnose the issue (hard packed footing at our barn was exacerbating her arthritis), I was in full swing of a theatre production which ran all of August and I did not have the time to bring us back into shape from a month of no riding. The vet gave me the clear to bring V back into full work and even told us we could do the HT, but I knew I'd never get us ready in time, so I bowed out of that event.

Since then, I have finally finished my production and began pawing through the calendar to see what I could do before the season ends - even a 2 phase or jumper show would soothe my "show itch". It turns out that there is a 3 phase available Sept 30/Oct 1 which I decided to enter, as it gave us over a month to get prepped. One of the marvelously wonderful things about Vesper is that she is almost literally a point-and-shoot jumper, whether that is stadium or XC - she will jump basically anything with zero to minimal prep, so fitness is highest priority for us. Our fitness routine hasn't been the most effective however, as our province is on fire and even though we live out of the danger zone, we've gotten a lot of smoke and I have to be extraordinarily careful about riding in hot, smoky conditions.

So that's where we're at for now. I'm going to do my best to get us ready for this HT, so hopefully I'll have something to show for it by the beginning of October ;)

3. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

Im pming you that schedule

4. Winchester

Winchester Senior Member

I jumped something absurdly large yesterday and didn't die. There's hope for me yet.

wp-image-2016022864.png

I also sent this in yesterday so there's no going back! Locked and loaded. 2 weeks to go.

5. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

WHOOT! great jump, and you lived.....have a great show....Wishing you all the best, Fergie and I will be at out last show of teh season then

Larkspade and Winchester like this.
  6. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

I LOVE the course at MREC and I really want to go this year... :/

You look fantastic and I'll have to live vicariously through you.

Winchester likes this.
  7. slc

slc Senior Member

Your horse didn't even turn a hair and you looked great. Very nice.

Winchester likes this.
  8. Winchester

Winchester Senior Member

Thanks slc. She's really a genius. Never met a horse that loves this stuff so much :)

mooselady likes this.
  9. Winchester

Winchester Senior Member

I rode my first hunter pace today and it was so fun. Our local hunter club put it on, and I had so much fun drag hunting with them last year that I couldn't miss the pace. There were about 20 riders split into 2 divisions: novice was jumps optional with a slower optimum time, and advanced which was mandatory jumps and faster OT. We came in third out of 15ish in the advanced division, but the first place rider got disqualified so we got bumped up to second!

20170924_130559_HDR.jpg

Advanced OT was 10:00 and we came in at 8:26 - while TROTTING the entire last third of the course :ROFLMAO: Vesper always feels we should be at Rolex instead of this dinky stuff. It was another great confidence boost for me, we galloped forward, nailed our distances and I wasn't anxious at all.

She gets a hand walk tomorrow, and then I had better start looking at my dressage test for PT on Saturday... :whistle::faint:

10. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

Going to be doing my first hunter pace in 2wks on a made honest lil pony. Can't wait!!

Winchester likes this.