Eventing season

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by Winchester, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Winchester

Winchester Senior Member

@hamerface Your browband is to die for :love: The mix of red, grey and black in your get up is so dang classy!

I had a second jumping lesson this week with a local eventer who's long-listed for the Canadian Olympic team... She's excellent but boy did she kick my arse! I kind of miss the days when posting a lap around the arena was a huge success in a lesson?! :ROFLMAO::faint:

We wrapped up our year with a little jumper schooling show today; came away with a second in our warm up 2'9 round (although it was a bit bumpy! What are distances?) and a second out of 2 riders for our 3' round, which was much smoother. It was nice to have the opportunity to practice some of the changes that the coach made earlier this week - such as making decisions immediately after fences, which is way harder for me than I imagined. Quality mare means I've learned a lot of subconscious ways to "cheat" in our rides and dump all the work onto her!

20181014_144324.jpg
    20181014_144259.jpg
    20181014_144343.jpg

That's it for us for quite a while! Now we wind down for 2.5 weeks until my knee surgery.

2. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

@Winchester

Congrats on the learning, and the show placings. It has decidedly turned winter-ish here though we are unseasonably warm this week, so I am also done for the season. (until March or April)

The browband was made by Polished Pony Equipment in Terrace, BC. Lovely lovely workmanship and a fraction of the price of better known makers. She was great to work with. I asked her to match it to my saddle and my grey horse. I'm not a bling person, but I love this. LOVE it.

3. txgray

txgray Senior Member

Another event in the books, and another 2nd place, finishing on our dressage score again at Holly Hill.

Henry is on a roll right now. Dressage was not so great, but he really brought it for stadium and XC. Which I'm glad about, because one fence in particular was giving me nightmares. GAH! Burn it down! Henry didn't even bat an eye, so apparently I'm ridiculous for no reason. What else is new.
    HHweldons.jpg

Next weekend we're entered in our first P/T (Prelim dressage and stadium, Training XC), at Texas Rose. Not gonna lie, I'm nervous for stadium. It's always technical at Texas Rose, and it's been our nemesis phase in the past. Hopefully I can pull myself together.

4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I don't think there is much you could put in front of Henny in XC that he wouldn't tr y to jump. He is confident in being awesome on XC.
    Have fun at Texas Rose. I am sure you two are going to do great.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. JKetsche

JKetsche Senior Member

Well, here's a thing: If you own a Trakehner 7 and under in Germany, you are eligible for the Trakehner viewing in your chosen discipline (eventing, SJ, dressage). You can attend a clinic in your chosen discipline in your chosen region, and the association pays for it. My mare went last year.

So yesterday, my new mare and I headed out on our first cross country course together (not having my own transportation sucks). Yeah, at Luhm├╝hlen. For a free clinic. With Andreas Ostholt.

WOW WOW WOW WOW.

1. The grounds. So pretty. So so nice. Drove past the grandstand and the dressage to the XC. They have a schooling course there that has stuff you can use at any level and can combine for any level easily. I mean, you can do a course of logs suitable for the babies or a course of Prelim by reconfiguring how you combine the various elements. There is a gallop track around the field. But behind the parking? Yeah, that was the four star course. Did not have time to explore it too much, but I did have to duck into the ditch under the oxer that was right by the parking lot. So cool.

2. The instructor. I would ride with him any day. Our group was all experienced up to at least Modified and even Prelim. Except me (we were grouped by horse age since it was about the association seeing how the horses are progressing). So he modified the courses slightly for me, but not so much that I felt like a loser. Nope, he made sure I felt confident but still pushed me to stuff that I would not have done on my own. All the riders and horses left feeling like they could conquer the world, like they had homework, and exhilarated because it was fun. He was friendly, chill, helpful, approachable, and professional.

3. The people. In true eventer style, folks were friendly and mutually helpful. My group mates were lovely, the people in the crowd generally friendly, and there was a clear sense of community. Oh, and Dibo's working student? assistant? was parked next to us, and he was there as a spectator. He was the instructor last year. Dibo (Andreas Dibowski) was also friendly.

4. My horse. Yep, she was amazing. A bit full of herself at first (jumped the little log combo like they were several feet instead of barely a foot high). But got better and better and never batted an eye even though I haven't ridden a bank, drop, or ditch in about 3 years. She looked into the ditch and jumped it big, but never felt like she was going to stop. Bank up? My bogeys, but not on this mare. Through a crater? Like a champ. Water? Went right in and made a big splash.

Seriously, I have MISSED eventing. I have MISSED cross country. And I own an amazing horse. Now I just have to work on my homework (adjustability of gallop, keeping her from curling when she gets excited). Oh, and maybe keeping the bucks out of the canter depart when she is excited. Also, I may need to book some tickets for June so I can watch the four star. It isn't that far away.

6. ginster

ginster Senior Member

This sounds like such an amazing experience!
    Are there any pictures?

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. Winchester

Winchester Senior Member

Omg @JKetsche that sounds like heaven! What an experience! You Germans sure know how to event :loveflag:

Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.
  8. JKetsche

JKetsche Senior Member

Sorry, no pics--was busy riding and taking it all in. But it really was wonderful!

Alsosusieq2, ginster and mooselady like this.
  9. txgray

txgray Senior Member

We survived our first PT! Ironically we had a freak stumble on XC right before the C element (a corner) of the coffin and I did not think it was wise to try to jump while he was still floundering to get his feet back under him, so I had to circle, garnering a 20. Kind of a bummer because the course actually felt really easy and Henry rocked right around. Tis the nature of the sport, though, sometimes weird things happen. We had a few rails in stadium but I don't even care, I was legit terrified walking in the ring and pretty convinced we were gonna die. Did not die! Always a bonus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TRXC18.jpg
    TRXC182.jpg

10. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Good way to think of it! I have never jumped above training level so those jumps you are jumping are terrifying to even look at!

Congratulations!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.