Eventing season

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by Winchester, Feb 14, 2017.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

You have done such a wonderful job with that horse. Awesome!

2. Winchester

Winchester Senior Member

Got some entries in yesterday! Sept 16 is a 2-phase dressage and XC at Pre Training level - I'm using this one as a "prep" for the 3 phase Sept 29-30 which I did last year, also at PT again. Last year I just went for fun, since it was my first full event, but this year I'm going to work as if we're going in to win. I was hoping to move up to Training this season, but with an intensive theatre production and then a 3 week trip this summer, I wasn't able to fit in the practice I'll need to make the move. Vesper could handle it no problemo, but my anxiety still gives me issues in the stadium ring. I've got a lesson booked this coming week with a local eventing coach who is one of the top in the province to help me with the stadium stuff.

Aug 26 I'm booked for a couple of Entry level (BN for you 'muricans) classes at a local derby show just to get us back in the swing of things for this month. I might squish into the same derby show on Sept 23 for a tune up the week before our 3 phase, but I don't want to burn my mare out so we'll see how we're feeling.

I was planning to spread my shows out over the summer instead of accidentally cramming them all into one month :ROFLMAO::faint:

3. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

I'm entered in the local HT at the end of this month. I went with my comfort level of Pre Entry
    0.75m height and spread. No mandatory ditches, no down banks optional water.

I could have gone Entry (0.85m with banks water & ditches) but haven't been schooling enough with the smoke.

I did re paint my nemesis yesterday. This used to be the flattest most neutral grey all over. I broke my tail bone on it years ago. Haven't jumped it since despite it being entry height.

we have a clinic before the event. I might then. 20180825_114103.jpg

4. Winchester

Winchester Senior Member

Atta girl! Are you taking Mischa?

The smoke has been absolutely awful, and I'm on the coast so I know you guys are getting it 10x worse :no:

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

@Winchester
    You bet I am. She's more than ready haha I'm definitely not as I always second guess myself. A 15 year old took her around PE last year with no faults so really it's all going to be pilot error if things go sideways.

Winchester, Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.
  6. txgray

txgray Senior Member

Good luck, Canadian friends! You'll have to come back and tell us how things go. Especially if you make that bench your bich, hamer. ;)

I kind of forgot about this thread. Early this summer we finally got our first win together at Training, at a local HT. Then we went to Georgia for a couple shows and had a blast, improving our dressage and even getting our first 9 in a recognized test! Then Henry had a 5 week vacation where we mostly just took the yearling out on walk hacks. We're gearing back up now for the fall season, eyeing a show or two in October. It's still just stupid hot here. Some pics from Chatt, though!

Chatt1.jpg Chatt2.jpg Chatt3.jpg Chatt4.jpg Chatt5.jpg Chatt6.jpg Chatt7.jpg

7. Winchester

Winchester Senior Member

Derby schooling show yesterday was awesome. We had a warm up Entry round, a timed Entry round which won us 3rd place and a PT warm up round which was the most confident and smoothest round I've ever ridden, especially at 3' which has always been "Really High" to me.

20180826_170621.jpg

IMG_20180826_215729_036.jpg
    She always pulls the tongue thing in our posed photos :ROFLMAO:

I'm starting to finally feel safe in allowing Vesper to stride out and not micromanage so much. The goal of the show was to have a fun and casual day to "get back in the saddle" since I basically didn't ride for 2 months this summer. It helped me gauge what needs work and what's strong going into September and my planned events.

Our PT round left me with a big grin on my face - the jumps didn't feel big and I'm finding a groove with our striding and distances, my nemeses. Altogether I'm feeling excited and confident for our September events.

Also scored a cute baseball cap and some horse cookies for the 3rd place. This place always does neat and useful prizes.

20180826_161148_HDR.jpg
    20180826_161125.jpg

Girl is 18 1/2, hard to believe!

Larkspade, tlwidener, Pony123 and 4 others like this.
  8. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

The bench is my b*tch. No big deal.

Ditches however.:oops:

9. Winchester

Winchester Senior Member

Ditch gonna be yo b*tch
    :D

Larkspade likes this.
  10. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

One day, but not this weekend :D We NEVER get to school them for one reason or another, so I was pretty bummed I didn't have it in me to get her over it. My friend did, and it wasn't the explosion I was bracing myself for, so thats reassuring. We've done them before but it was three years ago. Mares got smarts, she knew I wasn't going to make it happen. I hate riding to stuff with that feeling.