Ethical question.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dona Worry, Apr 5, 2017.

?

Who behaved the most ethically in the following scenario?

1. Mary

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. John

18 vote(s)
    78.3%
  3. George

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The Captain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Mary and John are a long time romantic couple. Mary lives on the mainland. John lives on an island with only one bridge connecting it to the mainland.
    One day there is a terrible storm that knocks out not only the bridge but all communications with the island. The damage is so severe that it will be months before any way to contact the island is available.
    Mary is distraught. She searches for a way to the island and finds a Captain with a boat who is ferrying people across. He is charging an exorbitant amount for a one way trip, and Mary tells him she cannot afford it. The Captain says he will take her across in exchange for sexual favors. Mary initially refuses, but after searching again for an alternative route, returns and agrees.
    The Captain takes her across.
    Mary finds John, who is thrilled to see her. However, Mary breaks down on tears and tells him of her agreement with the Captain. John is angered by this, and publicly ends the relationship.
    John's friend George finds Mary crying in the street, and asks what happened. After hearing the whole story, George is upset with John, tracks him down and beats him up.

The end.

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

None of them. Where do you get this carp at? Boy, I thought it was going to be an ethics - logics question.

Do you any of them using common sense and being ethical? I fault the captain the most, he must have matriculated at the Trump towers.

D_BaldStockings and manesntails like this.
  3. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

This was from an Ethics class I took in college. We were given a question to debate in the beginning of each class. I don't remember most of them, but this one was probably the most hotly debated.
    They are all awful, but we had to decide, within a group of four, who was the most ethical.
    I think I went with John? I don't remember. It may have been Mary.
    At least, those are the two I am trying to pick between now!

4. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

A surprising number of people chose the Captain as most ethical.

5. Kitari

Kitari Senior Member

I picked John. Mary cheated, the captain extorted, and the friend went vigilante. John had cause to be angry and end the relationship, neither of which wear ethically wrong. After all, most people would tell Mary to cut it off if the roles had been reversed.

D_BaldStockings and secuono like this.
  6. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Ehh, while it is not a choice I would make, I think there is a distinction between cheating and exchanging sex for a single specific goal, especially one that will lead to being reunited with your SO, which would otherwise be impossible for months.
    And John is a jerk for breaking up with Mary in public and leaving her crying on the street, but then, they are ALL unpleasant.
    I haven't voted yet. I can't pick.

7. Varisha

Varisha Senior Member

Time passes and I don't see waiting months as a horrible thing, unless one has a terminal illness. Why would Mary tell John such a personal thing that she had to know would be highly upsetting to John in public? It does not say John took her to a public place to break up with Mary. If my girlfriend told me they slept with another to pay for a ride to see me instead of waiting until the known other way would open up without such a transgresion, then I would break up with them right then and there. So if they choose to tell me in a public place that is on them. Cheating is one of my major deal breakers.

Oh and unless George is related to Mary I have a feeling he has a crush on her.

VermilionStrife and secuono like this.
  8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

John is the most ethical. Ethics entail rules of conduct. He needed to break up with a woman who put her "want" to get to the island over her OWN ethics. If a man can convince her to have sex in exchange for a boat trip, what other , if you will, "reward for services" would she spread her legs to get? She didn't put morality over a yearning she had.

George thinks it's morally right to take the law into his own hands.

The Captain inflates his fees to enrich himself when tragedies strike others. He has no moral compass, nor compassion for those in trouble.

Ethics are IN GRAINED senses of right and wrong.

9. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

John of course. Easy decision.

manesntails likes this.
  10. Kitari

Kitari Senior Member

Even that argument is kind of invalid. Clearly there is communication between the island and the mainland. There was at the time one captain ferrying people across. Logic would dictate other captains would soon be offering service. Which would in turn decrease the cost.

If nothing else she could have sent a letter either with the captain or one of the passengers.

She clearly went against her own ethics to get to him.

As far as breaking up in public, if she chose the stage then that is what it is. Breaking up, even in a "public" location is not ethically wrong.