Equine Dwarfism 101, version 2 (Updated 2014)

Discussion in 'Horse Colors / Genetics' started by Threnody, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Marleen Binder

Marleen Binder Registered

Of course! You are Welcome.

You know .... we have the same mission.

I have more Pics on other foals looking the similar.

I will Show you Next Days as i have Time.

Maybe you can Add a Link on the Pic to www.equider-zwergenwuchs.de ?
    I want to write this Page in english too.
    And my newest Intention is to outsourch and increase the Database.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    Varisha and Threnody like this.
  2. Marleen Binder

Here is the dam (i know that her sire´s line carries D3)
    [​IMG]

And this is the sire of the dead foal (he also could carry D3 because of the Belgian shetlands pony lines...)
    [​IMG]

Funny thing beside... both are carriing at least one (or more) inhertiable disease in recessive way.... AND if you look on the foal... both black... they also carry the recessive red factor for chestnut.

Two characteristics you can´t see.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  3. Threnody

Threnody Senior Member

Thanks for sharing these! The two of them really show that there is no 100% way to know if a horse is a carrier unless they are tested or produce a dwarf. The sire has the straighter more horse-like head profile multiple owners report their SA carriers having, but the dam has more of a dished profile. Both do have fairly tiny ears, but unless we had a genetically clear horse to compare them to, who are we to say they are smaller than normal? Are you able to get DNA tests on both of them? If so, I'd say they would be prime candidates to see if the foal was possibly homozygous for ACAN and SA dwarfism. Even if we can no longer test the foal directly, it would give great insight as to what is going on.

And your website looks fantastic! I remember when you were just starting to build it. ^_^ I will definitely include the link in the new thread. I'm so happy to continue collaborating with you on all this. :)

Alsosusieq2 and Varisha like this.
  4. Marleen Binder

:) what do you guess i did with this foal? :) I send it in to a Lab to isolate the DNA. But I never asked for the Number. Now I try to get the number on the DNA to make the tests running. It takes a bit time. Of course this would be the best for the research and for us. Kentucky didn´t want it at this time. So it is in Switzerland now.

But I also have DNA on the dam here... was searching my archive for my DNA-files five minutes ago. The sire... hm... yes.. I have to drive to the stud. It is not that far... but it is possible. I will do this as I need to drive in this direction. I hope the stallion is still alive because he is an older one.

I want to make an English site running. Even have the domain. I could need your help with this. The less English you are writing and talking the worse it gets. :(

And I would need the English tables again on ACAN and OCD.

And of course... the new ones on Del.

Do you know if the Del is a marker test? How secure is the test? The ACAN-Tests did so many troubles that many breeders worry about it. :(

Alsosusieq2 and Varisha like this.
  5. Marleen Binder

Both were about 29 Inches.

6. Threnody

Threnody Senior Member

It doesn't say if it's a marker test, but I'll hopefully be able to ask when my email is replied to. That would be awesome if you can test the sire too! Hoping he's still around to do so.

I will absolutely help you with an English site! It's overdue to have one with all the information in one place for English speakers honestly. I'm also planning on finally adding Dwarfism 101 to a page on my Virtual Pwnies website just to have it in as many locations as possible. Feel free to save any images directly from this thread with the English words to use and after things slow down a bit I'll have more charts. I really am curious about ACAN and Del interaction now and I'm already planning informational graphics for it. Also, your English is pretty darn good. I do forget at times that it's not your first language. And I'm more than happy to help you practice. :)