Equine Dwarfism 101, version 2 (Updated 2014)

Discussion in 'Horse Colors / Genetics' started by Threnody, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Marleen Binder

Marleen Binder Registered

2. Marleen Binder

Hi Threnody

didn't you get my Email two weeks ago?

We have already send in some samples and some more will follow.

Do you have the scientific Paper? If yes could you send it to me?

Thanks
    Marleen

3. Threnody

Threnody Senior Member

Apologies on my part Marleen. I'm in the middle of moving and my emails and horse friends have been neglected in the process. I did find your email and I'm getting Adobe Illustrator out to start work on new punnet squares for Skeletal Atavism. :)

As far as the paper, it is still in peer review. But they are offering the test early so people can start using it since there is such a great need for it. Once the paper is out of review they will be releasing it publicly and I am very excited for it. :)

4. Marleen Binder

Ok, great! Did of course not know that you are moving. I really had worries...

Do you know the difference between Del1 and Del2?

And do you know if the combination of ACAN and Del is lethal? I have some pics on dead born foals showing SA and ACAN characteristics (but of course not tested). But I had one and the DNA was typisied in switzerland. So I should do the tests now... :) And I know that this line carries D3 from Belgium sheltlands lines. But it also shows SA characteristics.

How can I send pics in here?

5. Threnody

Threnody Senior Member

I actually sent many of those same questions questions out yesterday. I got a reply that I will be told next week. I can imagine how busy Capilet is now.

I know that research on ACAN described visibly SA dwarfs carrying one copy of D2 and being fine. Although I have no information to verify this I also share your suspicion that ACAN and Del1-2 are possibly lethal when both are homozygous in the same individual. But given that there are so many mutations of ACAN with varying levels of severity I wonder if this proves to be the case, if there may be an exception that pops up. But I am not in possession of any of the papers and I don't know if research has been done on them in combination. I would like to find out though. Especially since a gene combination chart on this would be rather complex to construct with all the variables.

As for posting pictures I use photobucket. You need to make an account and upload images from your computer. Then you can post a link or IMG code to your forum posts. Photobucket - Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing.
    Hope this helps!

6. Threnody

Threnody Senior Member

After wrestling with my graphics programs this is what I've accomplished so far. XD
    [​IMG]
    ^ It now has the SA gene locus in parentheses

Hopefully charts will happen in the next few days.

Varisha likes this.
  7. Marleen Binder

8. Marleen Binder

Here is the little girl. Did some breaths before going over the rainbow bridge.
    Later I can also send pics of sire and dam if you are interested.

9. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

This is a good thread for me to read, it would answer a few questions about miniature horses that I had.

Threnody likes this.
  10. Threnody

Threnody Senior Member

Thanks for sharing the pics Marleen. Poor little girl. :( Those are very much SA legs with their proportions. And they also possessed a more severe head shape for a mini foal. I know foals can be born with "bubble heads" that even out as they mature, but this one does have dwarf characteristics. The extreme under-bite and collapsed nasal passages are very apparent. Their neck is also very short. Skeletal Atavism horses are known for having fairly normal head structure besides their smaller ears, and often have straighter facial profiles compared to other minis. So these other features on the filly are notable. I share your suspicion of wondering if this may be homozygous ACAN and Del dwarfism in the same animal. I would definitely be interested in seeing images of the parents.

May I ask for your permission to possibly use these images in the new Dwarfism 101 update?