Equine Dwarfism 101, version 2 (Updated 2014)

Discussion in 'Horse Colors / Genetics' started by Threnody, Mar 22, 2014.

1. CheyAut

CheyAut Senior Member

I had a leopard mare (my friend now owns her) I named Confetti :)

2. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I REALLY want a mini donkey. But they are so noisy and my husband already can't hear me so no cute noise makers :(

3. CheyAut

CheyAut Senior Member

YES that they are! Love my three, despite the noise. It actually makes me laugh. But I was glad when we moved to our current house that there is someone down the street with both a mini and a standard, so the neighborhood was already used to the noise ;) My previous home, neighbors weren't too happy with us having them :(

4. rugbygirl

rugbygirl Senior Member+

My MIL's neighbors aren't very close by, probably close to a mile. She has a standard donkey, they have a mini. Sometimes they get each other going...symphony on the prairie LOL

1 person likes this.
  5. Threnody

Threnody Senior Member

Hi all. It's been awhile but I'm glad people are still reading this thread and gaining something from it. :)

thegatorgal: I'm so glad that mare was brought in and sent to a farrier who is helping her. Visually alone she looks to be some combination of either D3 or D4. It's neat seeing how minimal patterns act on minis, even more so in dwarf minis I've noticed. And she's a black based female so she has all the boxes checked for traits that contribute to minimal pattern expression in horses. I can't believe she was being sold for $3,000. Breeders like her's make me shake my head. I hope she finds a good home where they can care for her needs.

prairiesongks: I just love Munchkin and that face.

6. thegatorgal

thegatorgal Registered

Threnody: Mouse (the little deformed mini) has a forever home with the sanctuary I work at. She was so fearful of humans when I first started working there she was practically unhandleable. I spent many hours on my belly out in her field with a handful of grain convincing her I wasn't a monster. It's been very rewarding seeing her trust in me grow. I can now catch her easily. She has learned to enjoy grooming and I've been able to teach her to tie and bathe. She hadn't had a bath in years, if ever, when I started there and she was just a mess. But what she lacks in size she makes up for in spunk :)

1 person likes this.
  7. prairiesongks

prairiesongks Senior Member

Thanks Threnody! We think he's pretty special too, but that does not mean there should be more like him. Dwarfs and conformational wrecks should not reproduce!

8. Marleen Binder

Marleen Binder Registered

NEWS!!!

In February 2016 the Capilet Lab in Sweden informed the public that the Skeletal Atavism test is possible! The Swedish researchers made in possible that there is now another way for helping our breeding stock becoming healthy. They also did the Synchrogait Test (already available at UC Davies, US).
    Skeletal Atavism Test

The Gene test is available at Animal Genetics, SLU, Uppsala Schweden. For more information ask Sofia Mokkia at University of Uppsala: Horse - SLU - Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet

Hope it helps our little ponys!

Marleen

mooselady, SEAmom, Varisha and 3 others like this.
  9. Threnody

Threnody Senior Member

Lol! You beat me to it. I was just about to post about this. Thanks so much for posting it Marleen Binder! ^_^

I'm in email contact with Dr. Lisa Andersson asking her some questions about the test and the fact that there are 2 mutations that cause skeletal atavism dwarfism. I wasn't privy to knowing there were 2 mutations until the information was released publicly so this is a surprise. It's kind of unfortunate for the horses that there are 2 mutations since this means there are now 7 known (yet testable! ) mutations of equine dwarfism overall (including chondroplasia-like dwarfism). However, on the positive side this is great because it means tests will account for the 2 known causes of Skeletal Atavism and be more accurate to reduce the risk of breeding dwarfism. :)

I'm excited and starting work on Equine Dwarfism 101, Version 3! :)

Who plans to test?

DelP and prairiesongks like this.
  10. prairiesongks

prairiesongks Senior Member

Due to the cost and unknown pedigree of Munchkin, we've decided that there would be little benefit to testing---he's a gelding so no possibilities of producing more dwarfs by him.

mooselady likes this.