Equine Dental: Power Float or Hand Float?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by jumpthemoon, Mar 6, 2008.

1. jumpthemoon

jumpthemoon Senior Member+

Equine Dental: Power Float or Hand Float?

2. kellidahorsegirl

kellidahorsegirl Senior Member+

:D Hand float......but thats cuz I think our nearest dental guy (power) is over an hour away...and my horses teeth are pretty simple to deal with.

How was K's day? ;)

3. countryacres

countryacres Senior Member+

We have an equine dentist come out. The vet comes out also. I think they can do a better job (as long as the person doing it knows what they are doing). In fact ours is coming out next Friday.

4. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

Depends on what's needed. If the job can be done with a hand float, in my eyes, that's what it should be done with. If it's something that needs a power float to correct, no business going about it with a hand float.

5. bay_blnd jmpr07

bay_blnd jmpr07 Senior Member+

My vets use both. They start with the hand rasp and generally feel around and rasp by hand if it's not bad. They pull out the power rasp to reach way in the back and get the hooks and points.

Fiona had one hook. She hasn't needed the power rasp since then.

6. jumpthemoon

jumpthemoon Senior Member+

It was expensive; thanks for asking. :wink:

I was really impressed with the woman Vet that did his teeth today. She did an awesome job with the power float. K had several dental issues, some I was NOT aware of previously. So, I am really glad I had it done. She asked for a follow-up call after a week or so of riding. She is curious if it makes a difference for him. :)

7. dklarson

dklarson Senior Member+

Combination of both hand & power, depending upon what needs to be done.

8. BettyBootsy

BettyBootsy Banned

Whatever they use it's only as good as the persons knowledge and ability to use them. My equine dentist tends to do hand tools. I had a bad deal with the power tools if they screw up it's way worse with the power tools.

9. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

My horses got the hand float recently, however Blister needs the power float for his front teeth.

10. stablehand

stablehand Registered

I would always go with a hand float because I've seen the effects of power tools used badly. The horses at "our" barn all get a yearly hand float from a very experienced Equine Dentist. I love watching him work because he's so quiet and kind with the horses. He (to the best of my knowledge) has never sedated any of the horses at our barn, even babies who've never had their teeth done before. I also would add that I don't think power tools are ever necessary because he corrected a horse with very severe problems (done with power tools) with hand tools.