1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Equi-Shine Supplement?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Mackenzie M, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Heaven Sent

Heaven Sent Senior Member

Mackenzie you should check out feedxl.com - you plug in everything your horse is eating and then it tells you what their diet is lacking. I had my horse on an expensive vit/min supplement, a concentrated feed and his diet was still lacking a few key nutrients. So, I played around with different vit/min supplements until I found one that offered the right combo and I ended up lowering my feed bill by over a $2/day. And, if you have your hay analyzed you can plug in those numbers too. :)

2. XxLiveToRidexX

XxLiveToRidexX Senior Member

I am saying that for your harder keeper, if you *must* go soy free, the products I mentioned are complete vit/min supplements so don't bring along a ton of calories.

They way your diet is set right now I highly, highly doubt your horses are getting enough vit/min/protein in their diet. Like I said, 99% of horses won't be able to make do with just a mineral block because they would have to be consuming it non-stop.

I think there are much better options out there then the Equishine in terms of adding a complete vit/min supplement...I suggest Equipride or Horsetech's High Point Grass.

Are you feeding whole flax? Or are you feeding a flax supplement? I have never heard of feeding flax causing a phosphorus issue...please elaborate.

For your older gelding I think going with he EP is going to be the best option then. You are going to need to add in extra calories with hay pellets or beet pulp. That in itself even still might be hard to do.

Omolene 300 is chock full of soy, so once more I am confused on how this product works so well for him but yet he can't have soy? I would also be interested in learning more why horse's with thyroid issues can't have soy. In fact the Omolene 300 has MORE soy then the TC Senior, not by a lot but it certainly does. It is the third ingredient in Omolene and the fourth in TC Senior.

3. Mackenzie M

Mackenzie M Senior Member

6lb: Thank you for the additional info :)

Heaven Sent: I will deffinetly look into that site, I am curious what it is like. I may not get as lucky as you but if I could lower my feed bill I would be thrilled! Thank you!

4. Mackenzie M

XxLiveToRidexX:Oh ok, I was a bit confused. Thank you for clearing that up.

Yes I understand that. Along with having mineral blocks out my horses are all currently on Equi-Shine. I have just been wondering lately if the Equi-shine is the best option.

I looked into the two supplements that you suggested. I really like the sound of the Horsetech high point grass but with 6 horses I just wouldn't be able to afford that right now :(

I am feeding whole flax (though I grind it). Its not the flax itself that is causing the high phosphorus. Its the fact that I am feeding both flax and oats which are high in phosphorus and low in calcium. This is why I am switching to oil (less phosphorus). Also why I added the Alfalfa pellets to their diet.

My older guy wont touch beet pulp. He is currently on alfalfa pellets. All of my guys are doing great on the oats calorie wise, except for my older gelding as of recent. He did great all summer until I switched pastures. He paced for a few days and lost a bunch of weight, he is now back in his old pasture but I am having a hard time getting the weight back on.

I'm not saying that he cannot have soy at all. I'm just saying that it is better for him if he does not get alot of it. I work with a holistic friend whom I discussed the problems of soy with, this was a while back so I will have to ask her to explain again what exactly it is that soy does to cause issues with the thyroid so I can explain it. With the Omlene 300 I can add a small portion (so he isnt getting the recommended amount and a giant load of soy) to his oats/alfalfa and it helps his weight. Not what I necessarily want to feed but if it helps him put on weight before winter then it is worth it. After that I can hopefully go back to just the oats. Where as the TC senior does nothing for his weight. Again not saying TC is a bad feed, just not the right feed for my gelding.

Anyway, my concern really isn't about the other feeds that my horses are on. I like the oats just fine. What I was curious about was the Equi-shine and if it was providing the vits/minerals that they needed. It sounds like my best bet is to continue with the Equi-Shine, as it seems to be a good all around vit/min for my herd, until I can possibly afford the horsetech.

Thank you for your suggestions and input, I do appreciate it. Hopefully I can get them on the horsetech once I downsize my herd a bit.

5. XxLiveToRidexX

XxLiveToRidexX Senior Member

Can you get Equipride?

6. Mackenzie M

From the dealer list I looked at, there is not a place close to me no :(