English to Western Measurements?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by OfHorsesAndFlies, Feb 16, 2019.

1. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

A 14-14.5" seat is a youth size and I don't know any adults that this seat size fits (unless you do timed event and need that tight pocket seat). If the stirrup length is a problem, then fenders can be switched out to accommodate a shorter leg. But the seat size is most important. You aren't supposed to be crammed into a western saddle and anything under 15.5" for an adult....is cramming.

2. Tack Collector

Tack Collector Senior Member

Anyone riding a 16.5" cc saddle, and that saddle fits them well, has to be in the 5' tall range. Which IS a teen size nowadays, yassmaam. :D I an 5' 1", and ride a 16.5" cc, a 20" cutback saddle at the very largest, and 14.5" is right for a ladies all-around saddle. The only 16" saddles I have been able to handle and not be chair seated now wallowing around in are the mid'90s TexTan Imperial show saddles that have a heavily padded 16" seat that's like a 15" with a deep pocket, and equitation-drape stirrup position. I was going by the saddle size the OP mentions, which I believe was a 16.5" cc. I'll back up, re-read, and see if I misread anything.

eta: No. She said 16.5" English, and the general rule is subtract 2" to get western size, which would be 14.5" or 15" at the largest.

3. Tack Collector

Tack Collector Senior Member

This is my 14.5" ladies all-around. I sure wouldn't want it any bigger. Skyline Vacquero Trophy & Tack. Shortened fenders.
    [​IMG]