English to Western Measurements?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by OfHorsesAndFlies, Feb 16, 2019.

1. OfHorsesAndFlies

OfHorsesAndFlies Full Member

Hey everyone! I'm going to be looking at a couple of western saddles tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on sizing. In his english saddle, Milo is a wide gullet, with a tree "about the width of your fist". The seat is a 16.5. He is 15.2 and has pretty normal withers. Does anyone know the rough conversion from english sizing to western? Any tips would be appreciated!

2. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

It depends on the shape of the western seat, but adults normally take a 16" seat. My show saddle is a 16.5" seat.

OfHorsesAndFlies likes this.
  3. OfHorsesAndFlies

Thank you! I'll keep that in mind. Do you know what size Milo might be?

4. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

You can’t just go by “wide gullet”. Gullets (in English or western) are akin to clothing sizes for humans. Do you wear a small, medium or large?? Is it the same in every brand you buy?? .....exactly.

Here is a great photo that drives this point home. These are all MEDIUM width trees.........yup each and every one of them is what the manufacturer calls medium.
    6913529B-71B5-4C5D-8086-FDA04983E949.jpeg

So no one can tell you more than what you’ve been told above. Anything else is simply a guess.

5. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

Make a wither tracing( Google how to ), it will help to eliminate saddles that won't fit.

6. palogal

palogal Senior Member

I'm a 17 in English, 15 Western. The bars are kind of different from trees. In general semi bars fit most "typical" horses and full bars fit the wider ones, then you have draft. The tree and bars are set up differently than an English saddle, different contact points, shapes etc. If he's a wide, I would start with full bars and see where you're at. He's probably to big for semi.

7. OfHorsesAndFlies

Thank everyone! As you can probably tell, I have about zero experience with western saddles. I'll try what everyone suggested.

8. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

LOL, guess I should have read for comprehension, I thought you were wanting the seat size for you in a western saddle. Different western saddle makers use different specs for the trees, it would depend on what brand western saddles you were looking at. Circle Y's....steer clear, they are very narrow even if they saddle FQHB, terrible fit on these saddles. Also the majority of the lower end western saddles "pitch forward" and don't sit balanced on the horse's back.

9. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Senior Member+

I ride a 17.5” collegiate and a 16” western roughout trainging saddle. What kind of western saddle are you looking for? Typically barrel racers have smaller seat sizes than western pleasure horses. I second a wither tracing. Also, trial any western saddles. Take pics and people will gladly help! I think a 15-16” western saddle would be acceptable for you. A FQHB saddle with a typical 7” gullet would be a good starting point. You can adjust as you decide what fits and what doesn’t.

GotaDunQH likes this.
  10. Tack Collector

Tack Collector Senior Member

Try a 14-14.5" seat for you, certainly not bigger than 15" if the 16.5" English fits you well. There might be some 16" Western that you can use, but that will depend on how much the seat is padded down and how far forward the store rruos are hung. Circkt Y always chair seats me, and I have better luck with Tex Tan and some of the old '40s-'60s round skirt saddles.

Horsesaddleshop.com has templates to download to fit the gullet width. Take the cutout insert part from the template that fit with you to compare to used saddles.a

If you are short height like me, you might need to have the fenders shortened for you. There used to be "ladies saddles" that were 14"-14.5" seat with shorter fenders, but today's riders are so much taller that they quit making ladies saddles.

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.