English Saddle Recommendations

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Corina, Apr 20, 2018.

?

Which type of english saddle do you recommend?

1. Bates

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Intrepid Gold

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Exselle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Barnsby

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Childeric

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Collegiate Diploma

100.0%
  7. Santa Cruz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Mondega

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Pessoa

50.0%
  10. Crosby XL

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Corina

Corina Full Member

I have begun my search for a new (used) english saddle and would like some recommendations on brands to look at as well as any that I should stay away from. Some of the ones that I have seen so far in my price range are: Bates (Caprilli, Hunter Jumper, Elevation), Richvale, Exselle, Barnsby, Childeric, Roma A/P, Collegiate Diploma, Santa Cruz, Mondega, Pessoa, Heritage Bespoke, Crosby XL and Intrepid Gold. All are either cc or ap. Wasn't able to put them all in the poll so comment on any others as well. Trying to stay under $1200 CAD ($950 USD).

2. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I ride a Collegiate and I love it. It fits myself and horse well, it's decent leather, decent quality, not cheap, but not expensive either. Someone here tried to tell me Collegiates were "junk," but imo... they are a nice saddle for the money. I have had a few and it's what I prefer to ride in.
    This is mine:
    [​IMG]

3. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Really kind of depends on the shape of your horse's back.

4. Rye9

Rye9 Full Member

I have an Ovation -- they have the same trees as the newer Pessoas. The leather is NICE, it's super comfy and secure. I was looking in your same price range over the winter and was also finding used Bevals.

The best saddle is one that fits your horse and you, though!

5. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

Post photos of your horse as you would for a fitting and hopefully you'll get some different replies.

The shape of the tree is important. It's impossible to suggest a well fitting saddle without seeing the horse.

Are there any fitters local to you?

mooselady and Rhythm 'n Blues like this.
  6. Corina

Corina Full Member

Yes I agree that saddle fit is most important. I will definitely do a trial with whichever saddle I decide to go with and have it fitted to my horse. Just want to get an idea of the saddle brands that people recommend looking into or avoiding, more for quality / comfort / etc.

7. Corina

Corina Full Member

This is my main mare that I ride but I am often using my saddle (if it fits well enough) on other horses / ponies when schooling or showing other people's horses. Would ideally like a saddle that fits a wide range of horses / ponies.

Attached Files:

8. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

Collegiate and Bates both feature the easy change gullet system too. I would recommend a Collegiate since they are typically wool flocked.

Circle C likes this.
  9. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

Bates from what I’ve noticed have really narrow channels. Just like their cousin the wintec.....

I’ve always been a stubben (sp?) person especially older models they seem to be very versatile horse-horse

10. Corina

Corina Full Member

Also have found an Antares. What are people's opinions?

I personally am not a huge fan of stubbens. I have ridden in 1 or 2 and find the seat quite hard.