English or western?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Flame507, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Flame507

Flame507 Full Member

Do you prefer to ride western or english..... And why

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

It's what you want to do on the horse. You want to do a discipline that involves using an English saddle, you ride English for that discipline. You want to be involved in a discipline that requires a Western saddle, you ride in a Western saddle.

Nothing to do with preference, IMHO, other than what discipline you prefer to undertake. You can't very well ride Western and do Dressage. You can't very well rope a calf in an English saddle. Riding is riding, for the most part. You ride with your body first and use the rein last. Many people ride English and Western. Most horses will ride either way so long as they are well trained enough and calm enough to ride off body cues alone, doesn't matter what tack you use.

3. pamnbam

pamnbam Senior Member

I've never been trained Western, but I enjoy doing long trails in my Western saddle. I guess I enjoy English because it's how I was taught and it's mentally comfortable to me (you know, in my comfort zone). I prefer wearing breeches/tights when I ride to better feel the horse around me. And I guess I'm weird, but I love the formal look of well-put together English show outfits.

Flame507 likes this.
  4. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

English because that's what I've always ridden. I was never taught to ride Western.

5. prairiesongks

prairiesongks Senior Member

As Manes says, It depends on the discipline and what you want to do. I ride both English and Western----if I'm going on a trail ride with lots of obstacles to jump, I ride English. But if there are few obstacles to jump, I ride western. Working cattle means western, but if I working in an arena setup for jumping I ride English. I have no preference since I enjoy switching between disciplines and want a versatile horse.

Flame507 and manesntails like this.
  6. fennecfox

fennecfox Senior Member

English. I grew up riding hunters, switched to eventing a few years ago (never looking back.) I've ridden western before and just didn't enjoy it.

7. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I ride western. I compete in cutting and ranch horse classes, and trail ride some. I would be open to learning English because it does involve horses :p

SparkleDust, Arem and Flame507 like this.
  8. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I ride both. I love western for relaxing on the trail and I ride English to jump and do dressage. It's all riding, all a way to enjoy time with a horse and I hate to limit my options to do that.

Flame507 and manesntails like this.
  9. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

English was the prevailing discipline in my area so when my nor horsey mother called a barn for lessons that's what she got.

Now I'm a hunter princess/dressage queen who'd never dream of riding western.

Flame507 and fennecfox like this.
  10. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

I ride both....hunt seat and western. I grew up learning both and showing both. I believe in being in being a well-rounded rider....and would advise newbies to do the same.

TheSnowLeopard and Flame507 like this.